Re: Engine Lettering

Hello Folks,

> >I would like to remove the lettering from several black steam engines >and possibly one black diesel switching engine. > >Could you please suggest a material [and your preferred technique if you >have one] to achieve this objective. > >Many Thanks! >Matt

Scrape with quick very light motions using an #1 handle X-acto knive with the straight blade (I forget the blade number). Make sure you don't put ANY pressure on the model you're removing the lettering from, just let the handle lay on your hand and let as much of the flat surface of the blade contact the lettering as possible.

This is a method I've used many times to remove numbers off freight cars so that I could renumber them. I'm sure it'd work on a locomotive as well, although I've never tried it, as I always do my own locomotives starting with an undecorated shell.

Reply to
Slingblade

Aha...I see someone else uses my method! And yes, #10 is the correct blade. I also suggest using a #1 handle also because it is the lightest of the exacto handles and you can just let it lay on your hand without applying any pressure to the model.

Reply to
Slingblade

I use one too (did it tonight to remove the number off of a freight car :) Although my experience always is the opposite. It leaves a shiny place where I rubbed the eraser. I usually use decal solvent like Solvaset to aid in the removal. (just make sure it doesn't remove the paint on the body too)

Reply to
me

It depends on the history of the loco. If the loco is bought from somebody else, then just paint over the former number, let the paint dry and then renumber. Gene ABV61-1043.001.HCB

"Skinny Dipping and Other Stories" On the web at
or
and look for "Into Joy From Sadness" soon.

Reply to
STEAM GENE