Removing Accurail lettering

Any advice on a materials or methods specific for removing lettering from Accurail freight cars? I'd like to remove black road numbers and preserve the painted gray sides of the reefer body.

Reply to
Mark Mathu

Mark, You might try rubber cement thinner and a q-tip. This is not an instant process and takes quite a bit of gentle rubbing. It leaves a sheen in the area where lettering has been removed that is a good surface for decals or that a shot of dullcoat that will take care of. I have not used this on Accurail kits as I only have some of the wood box cars that came with the lettering I wanted. I have used it on several Bachmann On30 cars and one locomotive and it worked very well taking just the lettering off. I have not tried to remove black lettering though and that could be more difficult. Anyway it's something you might try if someone does not know of a better process. Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Favinger

As I wrote in my original message, I am looking for materials or methods specific for removing lettering from Accurail freight cars. I am pretty happy with rubbing alcohol and a pencil eraser as a "generic" solution.

Reply to
Mark Mathu

"generic"

Mark,

Accurail makes special decals for each kit with additional numbers. These decals feature a background colour the same as the model (instead of transparent). This means you don't have to remove the old number first.

Check the Accurail site for more details:

Cheers,

Colin

Reply to
Colin 't Hart

Neat. How good are they?

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

Colin,

Thanks for the advice. I am aware of the special decals; as a matter of fact I have both a set of those decals and an order form from Accurail (but for different models than the one I am contemplating working on).

Accurail does not offer decals for the particular model I am interested in.

Chrstopher,

I think Accurail does a pretty good job with their decal renumbering program.

They deserve to be commended for offering something like this to us modelers; certainly we're all better off than if they didn't do this at all. I'm sure it makes having renumbered car fleets a possibility for some modelers who wouldn't have the time nor skills to renumber their cars otherwise. I think a very big "plus" for this program is that the decal font and size matches the original cars' font and size exactly -- since both are made by Accurail.

The decals are printed on colored decal paper so a modeler doesn't need to remove the base lettering (or mask and repaint the area). The new decal numbers can go right over the existing car numbers. Accurail seems to do a pretty good job of color matching - here's a scan of a yellow boxcar body and the corresponding decals for the car:

Mark Mathu

Thanks. They do look a good match. I hadn't realised they did this - it's a very good idea.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee