Re: First test shots of Eureka Models HO 620/720 2 car diesel

Greg,

> > No, it possibly is not a good thing competition wise, but why exactly > would you fork out the money to produce a model, and then sell it to > someone at 2/3 of the price purely so they can sell it to someone who > could have brought it from you in the first place? > > Of course, if you feel the urge to be the salvation of hobby shops every > where then you are welcome to produce something and sell through them. I > routinely buy models from Martin Finney, David Geen, High Level and > several others in the UK and most of them do not sell to trade.... is that > really such a problem? > > Regards, > > Craig Warton

It is a *problem* if you belive in capitalism. Which I take it that you do. In case you haven't noticed , that in the last 10 years a number of large monopolies ie electricity,transport and other industries have been broken up to promote *competition* but yet we have been seeing the reverse in the last 10 years in the model railway industry.

It does seem strange that we all demand competition in all other other markets except the model railway industry.

Reply to
Greg Rudd

How exactly is it a problem Greg? The supplier of the product is selling it in the way they deem fit to sell it.

If you want more competition in the model railway industry then supply the shops with something to sell. Several shops selling the same product at a discount to try and out do each other is a sure fire way for them to go broke.

To continue, what discount should the supplier give them? Say 33%.... how many would you expect a shop to buy at trade prices to justify giving them a discount, complete with trade terms of payment in 30 or 60 days?

The only way to get competition Greg, is to produce more, not to bash a manufacturer for wanting to maximise his profit.

The main reason to supply to trade is to expand your market, but i would suggest that it is no different to order from the supplier direct in that case. To carry it through, I can order a model direct from Slaters and have it in a week. Or, I can order the same model from a local shop, wait for them to order from the local agent, who may or may not have it. I then wait.. and wait. In most cases it arrives several months later, and costs more. What value has the process added to the kit, apart from a delay?

I fully support hobby shops, although I think they are a dying bred. But to suggets that someone is anti competitive because they refuse to lose their profit to subsidise another business is frankly ludicrous

Craig

Reply to
Craig Warton

Check your headings. You're posting into Aus.politics and Aus.flame. You'll end up with plenty of input you weren't expecting

Reply to
regn.pickford

But for some reason we never really get it . . .

Reply to
Steve Caple