Re: Model Railroad for son - a bit long and cross posted

Thanks for the help everyone. I got the Bachmann Spectrum Keystone Pennsylvania set. I am going to try and work on a 4 x 8 layout with my son and set up on the floor in the mean time.

Thanks,

Hello, > > My son has taken an interest in model railroads after watching the Thomas > the Tank shows and playing with their wooden rail systems. He's been > asking for a "real" train that can go by itself. When I was growing up > Lionel trains were the ones to have but I just found out they don't make > HO anymore and the vintage ones are more than I'd like to spend right now > for a 4 year old. Can anyone give me some idea of some brands and sets I > should look at? The local Model Train store recommended the Silver Star > set by Bachman but I'm not sure if this will allow him to expand as he > grows. One thing I remember about the old Lionel trains was that you > could buy pieces of track or engines separately as you grew. I'm > concerned that the Bachmann tracks appear to be pre-mounted on plastic. > Is this correct? If my son takes to this hobby I want a set that can be > put down on a table and expanded without being stuck to one manufacturer. > > Thanks for your help > > Michael >
Reply to
mtv