Re: Of Cows and calves

Nomenclature:

> >Cow & Calf is a term used by railfans and model railroaders. No one I ever worked >with had any idea what a cow & calf was other than a genuine, cud-chewing bovine and >her young. The term ~may~ have been used by EMD marketing types, but its use never >reached to the rank and file. >Some of them called it a B unit.

I work for the NS, and I've had several discussions with the "old hats" about cows and calfs. They seem to know what they are around her in Georgia.

Most of them called it a slug. >Yes, I know that it isn't a slug, but that was not a battle that I felt like >fighting. There was absolutely no reason whatever to do so.

Slugs do not have a prime mover, but rather get power for their traction motors from another MU'd unit with a prime mover.

Reply to
Slingblade