Re: Structure building?

Bob,

A good place to start looking is the Scratch Building Group at Yahoo

Good info on Scratch building, ideas and plans can be found at the Hot Box
There are a few good tips here
I don't know what type of glue you use but with wood I use regular yellow wood glue. Keep a little dish of water and some Q-tips handy. Most dribbles of wood glue will clean up well with a damp Q-tip if its done right away. Its best to paint or stain your wood first if possible so that small mishaps with glue won't be noticeable. I use wood tooth picks to apply wood glue unless the area is large. You don't need much glue to get a good bond, just a good fit and the patience to leave the parts alone for a little while. If glue oozes out when the wood parts are placed together one has probably used too much glue.

I've never worked with cedar but after using a number of methods and mixtures I like the black ink and alcohol method best. Its simple, easy to adjust, not too messy, and looks as good as it gets with bass wood. If you are using a piece of weathered board as a guide to match your stained wood keep in mind that on the model it may look better if your stain is a few shades lighter. I think this would apply to what ever wood weathering concoction you settle on. Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Favinger

There is a great thread in the RR-Line Forum on this.

or try
and search for posts by Matthyro.

I have recieved alot of great information there. The advantage there is if you ask a question, people can post a picture or diagram in response.

Reply to
<Will