Re: Which transformer for Maerklin Digital?

> Any ideas where to get such thing?

> >I'm in the wrong country to advise you on that one - "Radio Shack" is the

electronics chain that

we hear of in the US.

Motto: "You've got questions, we've got blank stares"...

For simple, common items RS is fine. For everything else, check Allied Electronics, DigiKey, Mouser or All Electronics. Google for the web sites 'cos I'm too lazy to put links in...

Jeff Sc. Long Day, Ga.

Reply to
not.fishplate

electronics chain that

We've got Dick Smith for that treatment - I wanted some bi-colour LEDs, found them in the parts drawers - wandered over to the counter staff to ask how one actually goes about buying these items - was told that they didn't stock them, never had, never will - I insisted - fellow looked them up on the computer, "no such item" - I leaned over and pointed to the entry - "Oh, have we got those?" - led idiot across to the parts drawer; "there, I want those!" - "Gee, never knew we had those, what colour do you want? - "red, green and yellow" - "we've only got,,,ummm, red" - " red will be fine" - "how many?" - "I want four" - "we've only got two" - "I want four!" - "we only ever stock two." - "I still want four!" - "That's all we've got." - " well, how about two lead bi-colour LEDs?" - "you can't get ... whatever you said." - "OK, but do you have any?" - "we've got red ones .. and these green ones .. and these big ones .. and digital readouts .. and these other digital readouts .." - "Two LEDs will be enough for now!!!!"

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

150% of the nominal

Do I understand correctly that one would want the current protector in the transformer AND the 6021? Would an automotive type fuse do the trick?

circuits such as a

cut-out is much more

transformer + Digital

boosters without

Yep :) Esp. since I am running 1 gauge and they use more power than HO

will the be damage to the 6021 without a fuse after the transformer?

speed at 16 volts ;-)

I see ;)

However the 1 gauge models dont appear overly fast ...

electronics chain that

Yeah i will check them out, however they sometimes have pretty ridiculous prices .. kinda like Maerklin themselfes :(

Thanks for your help ! Maybe someone more local has source for transformers ...

Matt

Reply to
Matt Lang

150% of the nominal

protection.

Yes. Because there is an accessible wiring connection between the transformer and the Ma 6021 the transformer needs protecting.

Yes. It needs to be around 150% (or higher) of the 6021 rating to avoid blowing with every track fault.

cut-out is much more

transformer + Digital

more boosters without

cut-out or an

No. The fuse/cutout would be there to protect the transformer.

speed at 16 volts ;-)

Try working out their maximum scale operating speeds - Ma has never been guilty of making slow running models! :-)

electronics chain that

There must be other sources - if you're not utterly amazed at how cheap the transformer is compared to Ma then it's way too expensive!

Reply to
Gregory Procter

transformer is compared to

I found one with 18V .. will this work or would it destroy the 6021?

Reply to
Matt Lang

transformer is compared to

18 volts will be fine.