Replacing wheelsets

I want to replace the plastic wheel sets on my rolling stock with metal wheel sets. Is it as simple as replacing the wheel sets or do I need to
replace the whole truck assembly? Which replacements are recommended?
Kirk
Seveeral people are making replacement wheelsets. I've been using Kadee wheelsets as the axles are made of delrin which is very nice in styrene and metal trucks. One caveat with delrin is that you don't want to run delrin on delrin as that tends to start well but years later, the delrin erodes and the cars don't roll well. One of the nice things is that most manufacturers of trucks have been following the NMRA dimensions for the axles so a wheelset is almost a wheelset for any car. You can get wheelsets from 26" to 36" from some of the makers of wheelsets.
Make it easy on yourself and just replace the whole truck with those from Micro-Trains Line. Excellent units they are.
Unless you're running HO scale or something other than N or Z scale, THEN...I wouldn't have a clue.
Good luck.
Pete in Calgary, Alberta
'Captain' Kirk DeHaan wrote:

Where do you get Micro-Trains Line trucks?
Bill wrote:

Any good hobby shop, brick or on-line.

what if my shop only has vinyl siding? (sorry, couldn't resist :)
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MRPics http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintageHO
'Captain' Kirk DeHaan wrote:

The Reboxx guys did a demo at the club a year or so ago. They rolled an ordinary Athearn boxcar down from the peak of our West Virginia hills. With stock wheels, the car coasted to a stop after maybe a ten foot roll on the flat. Then they popped the Athearn stock plastic wheels out of the trucks, popped in the Reboxx wheels, and repeated. With Reboxx wheels, the same car coasted five times farther down the layout before finally drifting to a stop. I find the run of the hobby shop Proto2K and Kadee wheels fit well enough, the metal wheels look better and sound better going over switch points. Reboxx offers a selection of axle lengths to yield a optimum fit into anything. Hardest part of conversion is coming up with the $1 a car for metal wheels.
David Starr