Reversing unit AR-2

I purchased a reversing unit for my son back at Christmas and have worked with it off and on to my max frustration. I have now lost The
directions to hook it up but even when I had them, I tried to follow the diagram, but apparently without success. When I hold my hand over each end of the track lenght, the red lights on the AR-2 unit turns on. But when I put the train on the unit, it either will not go or when it does it does not stop at the end and keeps going. Clearly I am doing something wrong because the local dealer where I got it said it was "super simple"...NOT FOR ME!! I hooked my voltage meter to the rails to see if it was adjusting +/-. As soon as I put my hand over the end sensor, the power dropped off the meter and I had to unplug the whole set from the outlet and let it set before even the trains would work. I'm at a lost....help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!