RGS Gallopin' Goose power question

I bought this Roundhouse kit #1518 a whole bunch of years ago. It's from the Battle Mountain series, but it is non-powered. I read an article many, many moons ago about power this thing using a couple of power sources. Two of them I remember, one being the NWSL Flea unit (way to expensive for me) and the other was using the power unit from the Bachmann Gandy Dancer hand cart little thingie. Well, I just scored one of those puppies on eBay the other day, so thought I would built the Goose. Does any one have an idea on where/how to get some side frames for this unit that would be kinda prototypical? I'm not looking for an exact match, just something plausable. And any suggestions on how to mount this thing would be appriciated, also.

I wacked the hood and radiator off an old 20's or 30's vintage HO truck and plan on using the metal Cat engine kit from Evergreen Hill Designs. Better suggestions?

Thirdly, if anyone remembers the article from way back and could reference it I would be tickled pink. I think it was in Model Railroader, but I'm not very clear about that. I have a bad case of C.R.S. lately! :)

Yeah, I know the real Goose was narrow gauge, but since the Rio Grande Southern ain't around any more, I figure they won't mind too much if I go standard gauge. Would appriciate any thoughts/suggestions on this project, thank you.

Thank you

Reply to
The Seabat

Hi

The gallaping goose which use to run long time ago on vancouver island Canadian National railway line was standard rail . Today there is nothing much left of the vancouver island Candian national line but it has been turned into a island wide moutain bike trail.

The only operation for rail on vancouver island is the Esquimalt and nanimio railway under new ownership and both rail america and cpr left. aftr 100 plus years and we continue to have via rail passanger service and more to come about changes to this historic vancouver island rail line.

Reply to
Brock Bailey

"Does any one have an idea on where/how to get some side frames for this unit that would be kinda prototypical? I'm not looking for an exact match, just something plausable. And any suggestions on how to mount this thing would be appriciated, also."

According to these pics galloping goose don't have no stinkin' side frames.

?file=00014931.jpghttp://www.gallopinggoose.org/3.pl?file=00014901.jpg "Thirdly, if anyone remembers the article from way back and could reference it I would be tickled pink. I think it was in Model Railroader, but I'm not very clear about that. I have a bad case of C.R.S. lately! :)"

Try

didn't see any MRer articles though

index.mrmag.com it's the cheap cure for CRS, at least for model railroading.

Eric

Reply to
newyorkcentralfan

The *only* railroad that ever had galloping geese was the Rio Grande Southern.

Galloping geese are based on Buick and Pierce-Arrow engines and coachwork. Later some were remotored with GMC engines and rebodied with Wayne bus coachwork.

Eric

Brock Bailey wrote:

"The gallaping goose which use to run long time ago on vancouver island Canadian National railway line was standard rail ."

Reply to
newyorkcentralfan

Goose plans were published in a very old issue of RMC IIRC. I'm too constrained for time to dig through my collection ATM, but I think it was in the mid to late '60s.

Reply to
Rick Jones

Dear BigFootinMouth:

bbbrrrrrraaaaaapppppppppppppp!!!!! So there!

PS: One of our all time favorite B&B's - and some of the best food going

- is the Cooper's Cove Guest House, in (or near) Sooke, BC, with the Galloping Goose Trail just at the bottom of Angelo's herb garden. Pricey, but very tasty, both every detail of the finish of the rooms, and Angelo's interactive dinners.

Steve Caple

"Steve Caple"

Ah but Steve, I live within spitting distance of the Goose trail and I can assure you that a galloping goose, in the accepted railroad term, never ran on the Goose trail. The doodlebug that did run on the trail was nicknamed, the "Galloping Goose" but it looked nothing like the accepted RGS "Goose".

-- Cheers

Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

Steve Caple wrote: > On 15 Jun 2006 00:27:12 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@bigfoot.com wrote: >

Steve, have a close look at the artwork on the website - it depicts a 3' gauge Rio Grande Southern "Galloping Goose". But according to the OP, and the website itself, "The gallaping goose which use to run long time ago on vancouver island *Canadian National* railway line was standard rail", by which I assume he means standard gauge. Whatever they did run, it wasn't the vehicle pictured.

Cheers,

Mark.

Reply to
mark_newton

My point is that galloping goose as a generic term for gas or diesel powered combination service rail cars, more often than not with some automotive antecedents, is pretty well established as a generic term, not as a branded D&RGW product.

Sheesh, will they be suing BC for naming the trail after Galloping Goose (tm)??

Help stamp out creeping Uncle Perversionism.

Reply to
Steve Caple

Steve Caple wrote evidentally with a crayon cause it ain't too pointy:

"My point is that galloping goose as a generic term for gas or diesel powered combination service rail cars, more often than not with some automotive antecedents, is pretty well established as a generic term, not as a branded D&RGW product."

Wrong! The generic name for a gas or diesel powered railcar is a doodlebug not a Galloping Goose. Now go and write that 1000 times by hand so you'll remember it.

"Sheesh, will they be suing BC for naming the trail after Galloping Goose (tm)??"

Let's see. D&RGW ===> SP ===> UP = trademark ligitation

Eric

Reply to
newyorkcentralfan

Steve Caple wrote: : : is pretty well established as a generic term, not : as a branded D&RGW product. : Errr, RGS product. D&RGW didn't run Geese.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden

Since Steve is un'Caple'ble of doing any fact checking on his own, I checked the BC archives.

I did a search on galloping goose. Nothing. I did a search on doodlebugs.

Nothing that looks like a automotive based railcar.

Evidentally the content developer at the website that Steve used as a 'source' has been using products from Columbia just not *British* Columbia. ;-)

Eric

Reply to
newyorkcentralfan

Well, there I would have to respectfully disagree with you, Steve. I've never regarded it as generic, and I suspect nor do most people. The term has always meant RGS/Pierce Arrow/Wayne bus body/3 foot gauge to me.

But having said that, it would be interesting to know how the Canadian walking trail came to be so named. Does it have a genuine historic basis, or is it the invention of some marketing consultancy hired by the national park service?

I'm not being facetious when I write this: here on my railway we had a four-days-a-week steam tourist train running from Port Kembla to Robertson and Moss Vale. Back in steam days this service had no name other than "The Squirt", but the marketing people hired by the local tourist authority deemed this unsuitable. After some very expensive deliberations and focus group testing, the name they came up with was "The Cockatoo Run", on the basis that these native Australian birds could be seen in large numbers from the train...and the overseas tourists love them!

All the best,

Mark.

Reply to
mark_newton

There's one or two vehicles depicted here that *might* qualify - but how about all those beautiful images of the GE doodlebug? Wow! As much as I like McKeen cars, I like these better!

Thanks for posting them, NYCFan!

Mark.

Reply to
mark_newton