Robert's Brick Mortar

What is Robert's Brick Mortar? It is mention on the Digital Railroader web site in the section on buildings. I can't seem to find it in the 2004 Walters catalog.

Reply to
Patrick Carcirieri

Robert's Mortar is out of business. The only wholesale supplier I know of is sold out.

Peter King in NY

Reply to
Peter King

I don't believe he ever sold it through a supplier. He advertises his own address and I ordered my first batch through the mail. Since he is in Milwaukee, I was recently able to find it at a local hobby shop.

Reply to
Frank Eva

It's a very unique product. It has an acrylic binder and mortar-like solids that must be thoroughly mixed into the binder. Robert isn't kidding when he says "stir AND shake". Brush the mixture on your brick surface; wait for it to dry to a powder, and then rub the face of the brick with a fine cloth (an old t-shirt, for example). You can either do this wet or dry, depending on how much mortar you want to leave in the joints. I find dry works fine on injection-molded plastic brick that Walthers uses in their kits. I started with wet, but find that too much mortar can be removed that way.

Reply to
Frank Eva

Portman Hobby Distributors in Peekskill, NY, sold it wholesale. They have been unable to contact the company for some time.

Peter King in NY

Reply to
Peter King

Perhaps because he is no longer selling through a wholesaler. Check some back issues of MR. That's where I found his ad, and he only takes checks or money orders, mailed to him.

Frank Eva Digital Railroader

Frank Eva

Roberts' Products Co. has an ad on page 19 of the December issue of Model Railroad News:

Roberts' Brick Mortar. One ounce $4.00, four ounces $11.00 (includes s/h) (WI res. add sales tax). Dealer inquiries welcome. Roberts' Products Co., P.O. Box 270057, Milwaukee, WI 53227.

History of N Scale:
Links to over 700 helpful sites:

Bill

Thanks! It looks like they're not out of business, as some folks were suggesting!

Reply to
Frank Eva