Scaliing Track

Again from the ABEBooks listing

1953 - possible first edition 1982 - first printing of second edition

Also found a 1966 printing of the 1953 edition

Nothing listed with an earlier date then 1953!

If the 1953 edition is a revised edition it must have been publised under a different title.

Howard Garner

Howard Garner

Reply to
Howard R Garner

Further research at the LOC web site.

1953 is indead the first edition with 1982 being the second edition

Howard Garner

Reply to
Howard R Garner

Thanks... so Hay's comment in the book referring to "current maximum" is probably based on 1953 practice. ____ Mark

Reply to
Mark Mathu

Assuming you using the 1953 edition and not the 1982 sewcond edition.

Reply to
Howard R Garner

I guess that one goes back around to Wolf Kirchmeir ... was the mention of "current practice" you quoted from the 1953 edition of Railroad Engineering? ____ Mark

Reply to
Mark Mathu

I also found a third edition, published in 2006:

Mark

Reply to
Mark Mathu

Thnaks for the info

Howard

Reply to
Howard R Garner

From the online edition, which AFAICT is 1982. I don't know whether any track with 152lb rail was still in place on former PRR lines at that time.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

That looks better than what I had in mind. Thank you.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Reply to
Dan

Where does one find the online edition?

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Reply to
Dan

NB that this is not complete, but selected pages, including the one that has the information about tie spacing. These pp. are listed on the right hand side. Publisher is Wiley. "Pages displayed by permission".

HTH

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Have not found all 700 pages online yet...

Reply to
Mark Mathu

Is there an explanation why the ABEBooks listing missed the third edition of

1996? It seems an unreliable source if it missed an edition from ten years ago.
Reply to
Mark Mathu

Oo> Search on 'hay railroad engineering." You'll find it online, all 700 pages > of it.

Reply to
Mark Mathu

A very good reason.

None of the many used book sellers had any!

Howard Garner

Reply to
Howard R Garner

If a book is not listed, ABEBooks can't get it for you, is all.

Why would they list books they can't sell you?

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Yup, that was before I looked at what was actually available. Sorry about that. So I made a mistake. So what?

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

My first thought would be so that when you are contemplating a book purchase you'd be aware of what other editions have been printed, to know if the particular edition is really the most appropriate one.

Reply to
Mark Mathu

Yet another example - one of several in this thread -- of why I use copies of Mark Mathu's postings in a basic Usenet class I teach for new users at the local Senior Center.

Its difficult to find in one poster so many examples of how to appear as a rude asshole on Usenet.

Wolf Kirchmeir wrote:

jJim McLaughlin

Well, then don't forget the "blow it out your ass" psot: news:475824c3$0$23590$ snipped-for-privacy@news.newshosting.com...

Reply to