Shake-the-box meets Intermountain.

Or is it that higher prices have turned away some of those who might be interested in the hobby? And there are a lot of reasons why one might prefer one type of kit over another. Ability, availability and preference are but a few that have nothing to do with economics. Having just invested a very large sum of money into an addition to our home to, in part, house my layout does not qualify me as a "cheapskate," and your suggesting so because of my choice in rolling stock is not appropriate in what I thought was to be a civil discussion.

dlm

Reply to
Dan Merkel

message

overwhelming

complain

more.

Bull!

The LHS where my repair shop is has started giving up shelf space that used to be full of Athearn and Roundhouse kits for the higher priced Branchline, P2K, and Walthers kits.

Personally, I like the Branchline kits. But now the kids, who are the future of the hobby, that used to come in once a week to pick up an $8.00 kit are now having to wait the better part of a month to save up the money for a higher priced kit or RTR version of what they were building for themselves. And a lot of them are getting discouraged about only being able to get one car for their train, when they used to be able to get four for the same money.

There are also a lot of retiree's with layouts who are on fixed incomes in this area. They aren't too happy with the dearth of inexpensive kits that's been developing lately either.

Having to be frugal because of flat out not having a lot of money to put into a hobby you enjoy doesn't make anyone a "cheapskate".

-- Len Head Rust Scraper KL&B Eastern Lines RR Museum

Reply to
Len

Dan Merkel wrote: >

An interesting point, and one well made. I hadn't considered that the compromises you mention were examples of "good enough", but of course, they are. So I will have to give some thought as to why I am prepared to accept compromises, but not others, such as the rolling stock.

Reply to
Mark Newton

Yes, it is certainly possible, the low-end product disappears. I haven't noticed much change in what my regular hobby stores stock, but I don't know whether the situation in Australia is the same as the US, at least as far as those modelling US prototypes are concerned. To be fair, I don't really look for the low-end kits when I go shopping. So you may well be right about this.

Well, while making allowances for the fact that hobby spending is discretionary, while owning a car is an absolute necessity for many people, I'd agree that a market consisting entirely of luxury cars would price many potential buyers out. But surely that would lead to the availability of cheap cars to capture that segment of the market, wouldn't it? (I know SFA about economics, but I think that's what would happen...)

LOL!!! That sounds like the instrument my next-door neighbour's kid plays!

Reply to
Mark Newton

There is something to consider concerning the LHS. The profit ratio for a non-discount shop is normally 40% (am using this as a figure to compare). So a RTR top grade car costs around $20 which nets a profit of $8. A $5 Athearn (or similar) car nets $2 profit. So two things happen here, first is 4 times the shelf space (assuming the boxes are the same) and second is the shop has to sell at a 4 to 1 ration to maintain the same profit. So if I ran a shop I would look closely at the sales of the two items for the two reasons stated.

Reply to
Jon Miller

No, it doesn't. But when did frugal become synonymous with bitching about "obscene" prices for what are extremely high-quality models. My remarks were not directed at anybody forced to be frugal by their circumstances. Those folks don't seem to be the ones complaining.

As for your assertion that kids are the future of the hobby, that's a separate issue, one that is long overdue for debunking.

Reply to
Mark Newton

I already have more than 6 feet of cork, what about you Mark. Why don't you tell us about your layout here? What are the names of the 3 layouts you claim to have exhibited? No web page or photos required.

Mark the expert web page designer has no web page yet criticises others web pages. So far marks displayed skills are 0.

Reply to
Terry Flynn

The same Korean made models you the expert model critic said were below your standard of modelling. Sounds as if you are jealous, after all they are better than your models with steam roller wheels. I have more Australian made HO scale models behind those locomotives than you have, your the only hypocrite. There is currently only 2 RTR Australian made locomotives, the AR NSW 45 and SAR 600. I have one SAR 600. I also have other Australian manufactured locomotive kits. So far we have no evidence you have a layout of any consequence, why not? I have supported my local mode railway industry, you have not.

Reply to
Terry Flynn

Terry, I think it is time to leave poor little Marky alone.

You have reduced him to babbling and name calling, you have found out he is nothing more than a janitor for the local tourist RR. You have shown he is a poor boy with limited income, THAT is why he has no layout to show, he cannot afford any. You have proven that he has no friends, actually his actions here have shown that better than you could have.

Leave him with his imagination entact, you have taken everything else from him.

Reply to
<Will

Mark the experienced and quite talented graphic designer has designed numerous webpages for clients, and is quite comfortable criticising the clumsy and amateurish efforts of others, such as yours, and the moose rooters...

Reply to
Mark Newton

Accepted! : )

dlm

Reply to
Dan Merkel

Jealous? Surely you mean envious? Either way, there is nothing you possess that I want, and nothing about you that I want to emulate. The mere thought of being anything like you makes me sick.

Reply to
Mark Newton

As an expert you should have already known these basic truths about the hobby, especially before you started criticising the skills of modellers posting on this group. I'm am still waiting for an answer as to wether you change the wheels to proto87 .

Reply to
Terry Flynn

Maybe we have a difference in terminology here -- what does "relative merits" mean to you? It seems that if a person is going to judge two models relatively, you'd need some sort of common basis to make the comparison.

Reply to
Mark Mathu

Better than my models? The only model I have with steam roller wheels is my model steam roller.

Everything else is gradually being converted to RP-25/88.

Mate, I'm not the one braying about his support of the local industry while buying models made in Korea and China.

Waterfall been moved to South Australia, has it? And before you start your usual bullshit, show me INCONTROVERTIBLE PROOF that the 600s ever worked the Illawarra when they were on loan.

Reply to
Mark Newton

Where are the URL's Mark? Now your an expert graphic artist. If you are a graphic artist, why do you work in the maintaince section of our local railway, as described in a earlier post. If you are expert at web pages, where is yours?

Reply to
Terry Flynn

My fucken oath I am. Here's one for starters:

A link to my portfolio will follow shortly.

I do both.

I don't have one. Care to make something of that?

If I decide to put one up, I'll be sure to seek your approval. In the meantime, I could help you to improve that ghastly looking excuse for a web page you have...

Reply to
Mark Newton

Does any one have any photo's on the web of 600's on the Illawarra so our foaming expert can be convinced?

Reply to
Terry Flynn

Preferably photos that show them working alongside steam, as they do on the maestro's layout...

Reply to
Mark Newton