Shake-the-box meets Intermountain.

It isn't proof, but I definitely remember seeing one at Prt Kambla during the hire period.

Dave

=====

NSW Rural Fire Service - become a volunteer today.

Dave Proctor

Even better would be a photo that shows them working through Waterfall before the yard was electrified. But that might be a tall order, since the wire went up there in 1980, and the 600s were on loan in 1982. So ideally, Terry would like a photo of a 600 at Waterfall, pre-electrification, while steam was still in service - that shouldn't be too hard.

Reply to
Mark Newton

Not on the web (I don't have a slide scanner), and not working, but on

11/6/84 I photographed 601 in the Port Kembla loco depot. Doesn't mean it worked down through Waterfall, I agree, but it's certainly in the Illawarra.

John Dennis

Reply to
John Dennis

Sure is. The 600s were often seen at Port. It's interesting that you photographed one in 1984. I can remember seeing them there in 1982, but I couldn't remember how long they were in NSW. I certainly didn't realise they were here for at least two years.

Reply to
Mark Newton

I've got a slide of a 600 at the head of a limestone train leaving the yard at Pt Kembla. I've also got a slide of a 600 at the head of a train of open wagons containing steel pipes, heading for Rozelle, and having come off the Illawarra at Meeks Rd. Photo was taken on the triangle near Dulwich Hill shopping centre. Date unsure at this stage. Where do you want me to post them?

Put in some more points and crossings and quite a few mtrs of track, today, Terry. No curved points this time!

................................Bill

-- "I have not said this. I am not here". -The Navigator

Reply to
William Whale

Nothing personal, I'm just winding him up. And I want to see how he attempts to reconcile the anachronism of running a 600 through an unwired, steam-era model of Waterfall...

Reply to
Mark Newton

Perhaps I can draw your attention to an Eveleigh Press publication, "Diesel Profiles - Alco DL541" by Peter Attenborough, a hard cover publication which appeared in 1998. Whilst dealing primarily with the NSWR 45 class, it also covers to South Australian 600 class and includes numerous photographs, both b&w and colour, of the operation of these latter units in NSW. But, to meet Mark's requirements, I list the following illustrations ... ...

p.156 - 603/606, with 602 push-up, Unanderra (towards Unanderra West)

25/9/1982. p.157 - 4529 + 600 d/a, Burrawang, en route to Port Kembla. p.157 - 600/606 Shellharbour, crossing 620 class, 14/8/1982. p.160 - 48148/602, down goods, Thirroul, 27/11/1984. p.160 - 601 on local trip working, Bulli, 12/10/1984. p.160 - 600/602 on up mt coal crossing 48143 at Scarborough signal box on 20/5/1982. p.168 - colour image of 4/600 outside Port Kembla depot, 11/9/1982. p.169 - colour image, 600/606 crossing Macquarie Rivulet, 14/8/1982.

If Mark would like to view the book for himself, he knows where I live, only a couple of kms from his place. Perhaps it is time for Mark to eat humble pie!

Hunslet.

Reply to
Hunslet

Thanks Hunslet, but I have my own copy. :-) And as it turns out, I had a few photographs of my own of 600s on the coast.

Not a chance. I had rather hoped Flynn would get off his bucket arse and do his own research, but no. I 'm still curious as to what spin he'll put on having a post-1982 diesel on a pre-1980 layout.

Reply to
Mark Newton

After all these years, the 600s are back again. In the past couple of weeks I've seen 602 a number of times, in company with misc. other locos, passing my place here in Sydney.

.......................................Bill

-- "I have not said this. I am not here". -The Navigator

Reply to
William Whale

Poor Mark, caught out again. Who said I have a SAR 600 to run on my 1950's prototype layout. Not I. I don't have it for that. The only time it get used on my layout is to push the track cleaning wagon around and testing. Otherwise it is for sitting on the shelf or visiting other layouts.

Reply to
Terry Flynn

Keep laying that track, I might come and visit one day with my SAR 600.

Reply to
Terry Flynn

The web page you claim to have designed is a classic useless web page as far as function goes, it's full of everything except what the customer of Country link requires, a contact number so you can make a booking and a timetable and fare structure. If these are on the web your useless web page for the customer does not link to these. The information is interesting for the rail enthusiast, except the XPT info is out of date. What a waste a time your first page is, a couple of pretty pictures, no instructions, hardly user friendly for the average customer. Classic government organisation fluff.

Reply to
Terry Flynn

How your story changes. Now you have the book, can't you read. You don't know how not to lie. The fact is I have an operating layout, not a plan for a future layout. I don't operate my diesels on my steam era layout other then for testing and track cleaning. You were the one who claimed 600's were not used on the Illawarra. You either were deliberately lying or did not now, and you are trying quickly cover up the fact.

Reply to
Terry Flynn

Also numerous photos in Railway Digest at the time. They seemed to be quite popular with photographers when working the Bombo ballast trains.

Cheers David

Reply to
David Bromage

Tut, tut, telling fibs again? Please quote verbatim the post in which I claimed that 600s were not used on the Illawarra.

Neither. I asked YOU for proof that the 600s operated on the Coast, knowing full well that they were - and as usual, you took the lazy way out and asked others to do the work for you.

The bloke who wrote that I can play you like a cheap violin was absolutely correct. A shrill, discordant, one-note violin, at that.

Reply to
Mark Newton

No, no, no, sorry - that's not how it works. According to YOUR rules, one may not criticise another's work unless one has produced a similar work of equal or better quality. So kindly post the URL of any web pages you have designed for government organisations or the like.

Reply to
Mark Newton

None of which is it's purpose. It is a sub-page of:

which contains all booking and fare information.

See above. The customer arrives at this page via links from the home page. I believe that this method has been used once or twice before...

The information is not intended for the rail enthusiast, it is to inform CountryLink passengers of the amenities and facilities on board.

Except the instruction to:

"Select XPT or Xplorer..."

Is that not an instruction?

Having selected either graphic, the cursor changes to indicate a link, which is a reasonably familiar convention on the web...

The average customer has no difficulty using this page. I suppose that means you are not an average customer.

Classic sook from the big sook. Sook, sook, sook.

There's nothing quite like the taste of sour grapes, is there?

Reply to
Mark Newton

Your statement is below.

Waterfall been moved to South Australia, has it? And before you start your usual bullshit, show me INCONTROVERTIBLE PROOF that the 600s ever worked the Illawarra when they were on loan.

Trying to change what you said again. You don't seem to be able to stop lying.

Reply to
Terry Flynn

I can still remember bout 1982 seeing a 600 class on an UP train at Sacrborough, with the SM giving him the staff, and arguing with my father saying it was a 45 class, I knew no better at that age to what the differences were between a 600 class and a 45 class.

Nathan

Reply to
Nathan Cox