Re: Athearn Genesis vs InterMountain

------------------------------------------- Is one of the engines an FT or F3? I believe the Farr grills weren't applied to FTs or F3s.

The F7 you mentioned has Farr stainless steel grills.

Do the yellow grills look like Farr grills or are they the standard EMD grills? Maybe UP painted some of the Farr grills when repainting the locomotives

First Hobby has a bit of info about Farr grills:

History of N Scale:
Links to over 600 helpful sites:

Bill

Matt=A0&=A0Kathleen=A0Brennan wrote: I am comparing the UNION PACIFIC Athearn Genesis F3A and the UNION PACIFIC InterMountain F7A.

----------------------------------------------- Sorry! I didn't read your post carefully enough! The F3As didn't have Farr stainless steel grills and the F7As did.

History of N Scale:
Links to over 600 helpful sites:

Bill

Matt....stay with the Athearn Genesis.......I have two Athearn Genesis NP F-9 and I am VERY VERY happy with them. I also just ordered 3 more Cheerio from Australia Peter

Reply to
Peter

Yes. The IM represents an early F7 which was delivered with stainless steel grills. The Athearn is a mid-production "chicken wire" F3.

The Intermountain F unit is about as good as any other top line model on the market *except* for the Genesis F unit.

The overall accuracy on the IM shell rates about a 9.5 out of 10, but the Genesis/Highliners shell is a 10 out of 10.

I don't currently have any of the Intermountain drives, but the Genesis later runs are excellent and I have no complaints. I would say they are fairly close in running performance. Athearn has the better sideframes however.

In terms of paint and finish the IM stuff is about a 7 and the Athearn again comes in at near 10 out of 10. Not necessarily the UP, which I don't currently own any samples of, but on others like the PRR, B&O, Santa Fe, Erie Lackawanna, Northern Pacific, etc. the Athearn finish is about as good as it gets.

Andy

- Pre-Interstate Urban Archaeology

Andy Harman

You have sealed the deal ;-) Thanks Andy! We own an ATSF F7A/B Athearn Genesis engine combo. It certainly is a magnificent performer. I will go with the Athearn Genesis F3A [A/B if I can afford the additional cost].

Reply to
Matt & Kathleen Brennan