Strange steam engine spiral.

I was just at www.brasstrains.com, drooling on the photos of the Lincoln Funeral Train, and I noticed a strange-looking device that I
have seen on no other steam engine. It is a bright metal spiral on either side of the boiler, clearly visible in photo #11 at this address: http://www.brasstrains.com/NewBrass/Product/Detail/032211/HO-PSC-Abraham-Lincoln-Funeral-Train-Set-with-wood-presentation-box -
Does anyone here know what this is, or what it does? TIA
On 8/8/2011 6:12 PM, Special Agent Melvin Purvis wrote:

http://www.brasstrains.com/NewBrass/Product/Detail/032211/HO-PSC-Abraham-Lincoln-Funeral-Train-Set-with-wood-presentation-box -
Just a wild guess: a very fancy handrail.
--

Rick Jones
Remove the Extra Dot to e-mail me

It's a spiral loop for Hotwheels cars. :-)
--
Cheers
Roger Traviss

Very likely.
They aren't attached to anything except the front of the cab and the top of the running board, so I can't think of any other purpose they could serve.
~Pete
I found and downloaded the original photo and expanded the photo on my PC. It seems to be a decoration of some sort. WAG.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:LincolnTrain.jpeg

Nice detective work, Rich. I assumed that since it seemed to be a strange shape for a decoration that it must have a real purpose, but now I am not sure. Steam gauges often have a spiral in their tubing to keep condensate out of the gauge. But why then would there be a spiral on both sides of the boiler?
I am guessing decorations for both sides. Keep it the same.