Strange Engine

Hi guys, Now you may have seem this before but it was new to me. At Honiton Hill Rally there was a crawler tractor in the auction. The engine had diesel injection set-up on the LHS and a distributor and spark plugs on the other. I'm told that the idea was to start the engine on petrol and change over to diesel when it was warm. Can't remember too many other details I'm afraid. The intention was for it to be used in very low temperatures such as northern Canadian winters. Sorry, no pics as I don't have a digital camera.

John

Reply to
John Manders

Quite a few had that, John, Waukesha comes to mind, Hesselmann and a few others. It was a low compression oil engine started on petrol and then run as a sort of diesel but not a true diesel by memory as the compression ratio was too low. I think one maybe had a change-over of compression ration as well...

Books are at home so can't be too definite about details :-))

Flitting between the NG and BBC Sport website as England finish off South Africa in the last test match :-))

Kind regards,

Peter

Peter Forbes Prepair Ltd Luton, UK email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk home: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Reply to
Prepair Ltd

Early Cat crawlers had the same arrangement

Reply to
Bob Spowart

I think this was on a Cat, it was certainly a crawler. The fellow who was telling me about it said that the combustion chamber had a 5th valve which opened when the engine ran on petrol. I assume that this opened an additional combustion chamber so reducing the compression ratio and not mixing the petrol and diesel fuels. Glad to hear that England are winning Peter.

John

Reply to
John Manders

As did several models of Kelvin marine diesel

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech Dutton Dry-Dock

timleech

Gentlemen, A mate of mine has a International TD 6 Crawler? which he is restoring with that on you start on petrol and when warm flick over a lever which increases the compression and stops the mag.

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

It's a standard Internationl Harvester starting method, with a 3rd valve opening up an additional combustion chamber for running on petrol then throwing a lever to open the fuel rack, close the 3rd valve, close the carb and inlet manifold and short out the mag. The carb is fixed with only an idle jet (I think) to give a little more than idle. This method was used in all (I think) the TD crawlers and UD (stationary plants of the same engines). See some pic's of a TD-9 and a UD-18 showing spark plugs and mag one side and diesel pump the other side. The change over lever is near the diesel pump on the UD-18. The UD we manged to start for the first time after major work yesterday.....

Cheers,

James

Reply to
James

Did not the IH tractor (or some of them?) have an automatic device to change over? Something like a screw thread which progressed a nut along so that after so many revolutions on petrol, the change-over to diesel occurred? I think it had to be reset with a lever before the next start-up.

JW² Perth, Western Australia Norton AntiVirus 2003 installed

yesterday.....

Reply to
Jack's Email

Ummm, rings a bell but I can't recall what thats on. IH or something else? It might be the later IH's?

Reply to
James