Engine activities

Things have slowed down a lot since the weather broke, we are back to the fields being areas of mud after the recent rain, and had to cancel a hay delivery because of the damage to the field surface by the big tractor and trailer plus the moving around to unload.

Met up with John Manders at a local village on Saturday, had a brief chat and then back to home again.

Most of the engine stuff that is to be done before Xmas is in the system, so hopefully I'll have a bit of a quiet spot over Xmas to get some web site updates and page writing done.

Been lucky with a couple of ebay bits and pieces that were engine-related, and the ADSL is now slowly coming together after a chat with the broadband techies at BT, who were able to give me some setting details for the parameters in the

3Com ADSL modem.

One problem with ADSL is the time you spend browsing all those sites with nice pictures, especially the aircraft ones that I never had the time to wait for pictures to load at before, like the following one with links to Constellation sites:

Peter

Peter A Forbes

It was really very naughty of you to post that link just before I have to leave for work. I'm now going to be upset all day until I can get home to follow it up!

Reply to
Barry Ruck

Back in the summer I bought a Norman T300 gen set from Roland Craven (Hi Roland ;o)) ) . It was more or less complete, but dismantled into big lumps and Roland had taken the Mag off and kept it in a nice, dry cupboard. Intentions were good, but I've not had a moment to get the mag fitted and run it up. Finally, I managed to get it done yesterday.

The first problem was being a flat twin, it was possible to time the magneto wrong, but with a 50% chance of getting it right, I just went ahead and did it - and lo! I got it right first time! I'd already cleaned points and distributor cap and it's equipped with that great idea, a recoil starter to flick it over the firing point. (As an aside, I learnt the other day that it gives the same intensity of spark as if the crankshaft was rotating at 160 RPM. )

A whiff of Easy Start to see if it will fire YES! and back to the mundanities of fitting the petrol tank etc. Although otherwise complete, it came without a petrol pipe, so at Close of Business, I filled the carb union direct and it ran most successfully in a few minutes, firing evenly on both cylinders and pushing out the oil pressure tell tale in a satisfactory fashion.

Having cleared the e-mails this morning, I'm off to fabricate petrol pipes etc and it occurs to me that the Wessex club has a crank up on the 27th and I might take both Norman and Coventry-Victor flat twins along. Both are small and easy to carry. Hmmmm........

I could take the ABC too, but that is NOT easy to carry!

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
J K Siddorn

Good to hear it runs as well for you as it did for me. The vile Green colour is as close as I could get to the original which I suspect was grass green. I believe it was originally fitted to a Greens Lawnmower but was found nailed to a large oak stump with one cylinder used as a compressor. Needless to say it got a lot of work and many new parts! Do let us all know when you have the dynamo hooked up and generating. ttfn Roland

of Business, I filled the carb union direct and it ran most successfully in a few minutes, firing evenly on both cylinders and pushing out the oil pressure tell tale in a satisfactory

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

"Roland Craven" said The vile Green colour is as close as I could get to the original which I suspect was grass green. I believe it was originally fitted to a Greens Lawnmower

I did wonder about the colour on a generator ;o))

I've had a look at the Mower Club's pages and there is a giant Green's four cylinder job, but no mention of a flat twin. Any ideas anyone?

I was looking at the control panel last night. I think I need advice ...........

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
J K Siddorn

My 1960's T600 was sold to Jowett (there's irony - selling flat twins to Jowett!) apparently for use on a Greens roller. I think both companies were by then part of the Hawker Siddley group, via Blackburn aircraft, and Jowett was reduced to the role of sub-contract engineers.

Reply to
Nick Highfield

What was that you were saying about people who rally lawnmower engines Kim? ;-)

Reply to
Nick Highfield

Just proves the danger of generalisations. Though I have every faith that when/if the article appears in SEM it will be quite clear at what group of people it is aimed.

Reply to
Nick Highfield

I fear that a 1.5hp Acorn top Petter M must also fall into that category :-) ttfn Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

Touché, Nick! ;o))

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
J K Siddorn

You beat me to it Nick. Has Kim finally come across to join the ranks of us lawnmower men?

John

Reply to
John Manders

'pends on the number of cylinders and how the valves are operated. I know someone who liberated a Mk 1 cammy Velo lump from a lawnmower where it had done service since just before the war.

The man said it was a bit of a handful, apparently .........

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
J K Siddorn