Tech: Dim light in Lionel Steam engine

I was wondering if there were some typical things to check on this. My light in dim in my 2029 2-6-4 steam engine. I put a new light in, the socker seemed loose so I tightened it too. Now it seems dimmer. The light in my 1936 engine is much brighter and white.

What areas/things should I check to rectify this?

Thanks!

Reply to
Mike Singer

The 2029 is an O-27 loco. Lionel designed O-27 locos for a maximum voltage (eg. full speed) of 16 volts, while O locos were generally designed for 20 volts. Thus O-27 locos typically used a 14 v bulb (like a 53 or 363) for the headlight while O locos used a 18 v bulb (like a 1445). If you used the higher voltage bulb, it would explain the dimmer light. Also check that the socket is not bent in a way that the bulb filament is not centered behind the headlight lens. An electrical problem could be causing a high resistance in the bulb circuit, but this circuit is so simple that this is a very unlikely cause unless the problem is also causing slower operation of the motor as well. Gary Q

Reply to
Geezer

If the light is reasonably constant then the problem is unlikely to be lose connections. I would tend to wonder what voltage bulb you have, as the same outline bulb is likely to be available in a number of voltages, typically 6,12,

16,(20),24 volts. It's just possible that the alloy chassis has oxidised where the bulb holder fits and has effectively created a diode that is halving the voltage, but unlikely.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Put a 14v in there and it's still dim. Not as dim as before but not bright white like the one in my 1936 steam engine :( I tested and I'm running 12v max on this engine.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Singer

Older engines had simply a bulb open & exposed to the front, the 2029 has a plastic "lens" through which light from the bulb must pass through, so it does not shine nearly as bright as a bare bulb.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1