Tobacco, anyone???

As a frequent reader, but very rare poster, to this list, I come with a question. I am modelling the Piedmont area of North Carolina in the th period from 1920 to 1935 approximatel;y. A major part of my layout will be a run-down tobacco farm. Does anyone know of available HO scale tobacco plants, or can you give me any ideas on constructiing them myself. I need about a field full.....

Many thanks.

Reply to
Michael Valinis

Michael Valinis spake thus:

Don't know of any "ready-to-run" plants available (maybe in NC? probably not even there). But I did find a few good pictures of tobacco fields, using a Google images search:

Looks as if these should be model-able with some simple, readily available materials. Dunno exactly which ones just yet. My research team will get right on it ...

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Here in the upper Midwest one of the most popular techniques when modelers need to model a whole field of corn (especially before the tassles form) is to use green floor mats with some yellow paint overspary. Tobacco plans are lower and the leaves are much wider, but it might at least give starting point to look for ideas for a whole field.

____ Mark Mathu The Green Bay Route:

"I started out with nothing and I still have most of it."

Reply to
Mark Mathu

Mark Mathu spake thus:

Yes, I thought of the green-mat material too. Never used it, but I've seen it used to make some pretty believable cornfields.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Just use the NOCH plowed field mats and pretend the crop is just in the ground as seed. There are no scale tobacco plants available.

-- I hope that in a few years it [Wikipedia] will be so bloated that it will simply disintegrate, because I can't stand the thought that this thing might someday actually be used as a serious reference source. Because in its current form, it's not to be taken seriously at all.

- Horst Prillinger (see

davidnebenzahl

When I used to commute to UMass, there was a tobacco field across the road from one of the appartment complexes in Sunderland. Much of the time, the field was covered by some kind of white sheeting (on poles) shading the plants. Maybe a sheet of thin white paper/cloth staked over the 'plants' would work (using toothpicks as support poles). Park a couple a ratty old school busses about the edges of the field during harvest season (transport for the migrant farm workings). With this white covering, the details of the plants themselves is probably not much of an issue (since they won't be visible).

Reply to
Robert Heller

Robert Heller spake thus:

Please be aware you replied to a troll, not to me. And I'm curious why your replies don't appear indented below the posts you reply to, but are at the same level as those posts: how are you posting? (Just curious, no big deal.)

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

I was just replying to the thread, giving my observations of a tobacco field I have seen over the years in Sunderland, MA. I have no clue as to whether this is typical of tobacco fields in general, or just some northern variation.

Don't know why the posts are not indented -- it is not something I would notice (my home-grown news/mail reader does NOT display news as threads). I guess it is possible that something fishy is going on with the References: header (ordering maybe?). I *think* my code is doing the 'right thing', but it might not be. There is a proper In-Reply-To: header, which *should* be all that matters anyway.

Reply to
Robert Heller

Robert Heller spake thus:

Just a suggestion: you might consider getting a *real* newsreader/mail client. This reply, like all your others, does not appear in the right place in the thread. Normally, it should be one level higher than the replied-to post; yours all appear at the same level.

If your news reader doesn't display threads, how does it show messages? Just as a flat list? Sounds not very useful and difficult to follow conversations.

As I said, not a big deal, but when you're the only one who's making posts in a non-standard way ...

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Robert Heller spake thus:

Actually, correction to my previous post. All your replies show up one level under the TOP post in the thread, no matter who you reply to. Your software seems to totally ignore posting position, or something like that. (I'm no expert on the details of NNTP stuff ...)

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

tp://

Binaries for Linux and MS-Windows

e quoted text -

Please be aware you are responding to a troll. Check the posting headers his are fake.

-- I hope that in a few years it [Wikipedia] will be so bloated that it will simply disintegrate, because I can't stand the thought that this thing might someday actually be used as a serious reference source. Because in its current form, it's not to be taken seriously at all.

- Horst Prillinger (see

davidnebenzahl

Are your above posting much better? You cannot expect everyone to know who is a troll and who isn't. In fact I've had you killfiled for a while because you have been crossposting to non-mr groups.

Please just ignore the offending messages.

Reply to
Erik Olsen DK

None of the 'real' newsreader/mail client suit my tastes. Most have far too much eye-candy. I also need something that works off-line and works with QWK -- I don't think any but my own do that.

Just a flat list with message no, subject, author, date, #lines. Which is all *I* need and it works for me. All *I* need to key off of is the subject. So long as people do sensible quoting it works just fine.

*Exactly* what is non-standard about it? I am open to suggestions as to how to improve my newsreader/mail client. It is available as a free download (sources) -- it is a freshmeat.net project:
-- feel free to download it an make suggestions.
Reply to
Robert Heller

I don't believe that the NNTP protocol talks about 'position posting' (whatever that is). This is a client thing, supposedly based on the 'References:' and 'In-Reply-To:' headers, which I believe define the threading 'logic'. Each message (post) has a 'Message-ID:' header (uniquely identifies the post) and replys all have a 'In-Reply-To:' header, which identifies what message the reply is to. The 'References:' is an accumulating list of message ids involved in the thread somehow. This should be sufficient to 'place' the message in the thread. (And these are all the headers in your post relating to the threading.)

I guess it is possible I'm either mis-ordering the 'References:' header's list and/or putting the wrong ID in the In-Reply-To: header (somehow). Hmm. My news reader is putting commas between the references but others are not. Maybe that is the problem? I can manually take the commas out and see what happens...

Reply to
Robert Heller

Your postings are placed correctly in the thread when viewed my newsreader (OE6+OE-Quotefix).

Reply to
Erik Olsen DK

Robert Heller spake thus:

Just so you know, the post I responded to here appeared in the correct position. Your others did not.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Same here with Dialog.

[OE ... shudder]
Reply to
Steve Caple

@hotmail and @yahoo are pretty good warning signs

Reply to
Steve Caple

Erik Olsen DK spake thus:

That's not me; that's the troll.

So far as figuring out who the bad guys are, that's a matter of paying attention. As Steve pointed out here, any "From:" IDs in the form " snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com" or " snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com" are clues (though there are a few valid posters who use such addresses here). But the message content will usually clue you in.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

David Nebenzahl wrote in news:461a70af$0$18151$ snipped-for-privacy@news.adtechcomputers.com:

I used to see theese in Connecticut all the time too. I understand this is a local variation. apearently the summer sun in CT is too bright compared to the hazzy sunlight they get in NC. At least that's what I've been told.

X-news has no trouble threading the replies.

Reply to
Gordon