Track Advise

Hi I am getting back into Model Railroads again. The only problem is, when I took out all of my loco's, stock, track, and scenery, I found to my utter disgust that most of it, if not all was badly damaged. The damage was probally caused during one of the recent house moves.

Due to this fact, I need to start from scratch. I was wondering if anyone could point me in a specific direction as to which make of track is the best.

I will be doing the layout in HO as space is not a problem. I have been looking at the Hornby range of tracks and loco's, but just can not make up my mind, which to use.

I will be using Woodland Scenics for most of the scenery and Faller for the structures.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanx

Reply to
MoRpHiN

Just a reminder that Hornby don't make H0 rolling stock or locos - or anything else H0. All Hornby equipment is 00 Gauge - 4mm = 1ft scale (1 :

76.2) runn> Hi
Reply to
Dick Ganderton

Reply to
Rob Kemp

I would look at Tillig Pilz Elite code 83 track as well as Peco. I used the Tillig track on my American HO layout (see my web site below for some pics). I really like the one piece turnout design, but they really need to be installed carefully with a strong enough ground throw or turnout motor (Tillig makes such motors specifically designed for their turnouts; I use Tortoise for mine and they could use a stronger spring metal lingage in my estimation).

Their flex track and turnouts use pre-blackened track so the "painting the rails" step is avoided. The modifications I made to the turnouts were only to deal with power routing and to change the guard rails from the plastic ones tillig supplies to metal one crafted from N gauge Atlas track chemically blackened which look 100% better than brown plastic.

Since you are also considering Hornby et al, I'll assume you are in Europe where Tillig should be readily available. Over here in the US, I bought mine online from Reynaulds:

Ed

in article snipped-for-privacy@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com, MoRpHiN at snipped-for-privacy@iafrica.com wrote on 7/21/05 12:46 AM:

Reply to
Edward A. Oates

Hi Thanx for the speedy reply. I currently live in sunny South Africa. The reason I asked about the track is that the suppliers in SA have very limited stock. The track ranges I can get are PECO, ROCO, HORNBY, MARKLIN, EZ Track, and TRIX. If I want anything else, I am going to have to import and pay excessive import duties.

The layout I am planning is more along the lines of a 1935 to 1950, focusing more on the periods directly before and after WW2. I specially left the period out as it seems to be a very unpopular era for some people. Do not get me wrong, I have the deepest sympathy for the individuals that went through that period, but I find it an extremely amazing period in history for invention and innovation.

I will be basing the majority of the scenery and stock on the Faller range.

The layout will consist of three lines running through a city to the mountains and coming back. Each line will be on different inclines, with the outer line rising to 60cm above the board and coming down, and the subsequent lines rising to 40cm and 20cm respectively. At the base of the layout, will be the station, switch yard, and branches running into the city centre and harbour. The entire layout will be mounted on a board measuring 6m X 8m.

I hope this information helps you slightly. Ciao

Reply to
MoRpHiN

If those are your choices, get Peco. Their new "83" line of track and turnouts if very good indeed. If they had been available when I built my layout, it would have a been a very close call between Tillig Pilz Elite and Peco "83".

Ed

in article snipped-for-privacy@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com, MoRpHiN at snipped-for-privacy@iafrica.com wrote on 7/22/05 12:14 AM:

Reply to
Edward A. Oates