Train Simulation for MacOS ???

You can run Virtual PC (from Microsoft, now, and included with Office X Professional) and then run whatever you want on that.

WRT the "useless Mac's" issue, I've used both for many years (did the original port to PC DOS in 1985 or Oracle, so to answer Hendrix's inquiry, I am experienced. In all that time, my Mac's have NEVER been infected by a virus or worm, though I've received plenty of virus and worm laden email from Windows users. So in twenty years, we may be saying, "remember those old windows computers which all had to be destroyed due to they unremovable viruses?"

It is a disgrace that MS allows simple over-rides, like sending too much data to a receiving buffer to completely compromise security. What a joke. Hey, trial lawyers out there: rather than suing Hostess for obesity causing twinkies, how about suing MS on a class action basis for their negligent shipment of insecure software? About a patch a week is what I count. They've got 50 billion or so in the bank, go after it. Maybe they will train their programmers to be security consious. Maybe other companies will get that way, too.

And there may not be "contact management software" for the mac (I don't know, I'm not a business user), but ALL that stuff is going to be web based pretty soon anyway. And if "the majority of us" would be a bit more diverse in our OS selection, there would be more software for Mac OS X, Linux, SunOS, et al and we be a bit more virus protected.

Oh well, must tighten the wingnut on my propeller beanie.

Ed.

in article 3f6dab02$0$18889$ snipped-for-privacy@news.optusnet.com.au, Mark Newton at snipped-for-privacy@optusnet.com.au wrote on 9/21/03 6:43 AM:

Reply to
Edward A. Oates

You show how little you really know.

Data is all ones and zeros. With comparable software, Macs can (and do) anything a PC can, and do graphics better.

Brian Ehni

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni

As an example, here in Australia the defacto standard platform for the print and publication industry is the Mac. Which is big business, as it happens. So that rather contradicts his claims that they are worthless for business use...

Reply to
Mark Newton

Actually, other than its troll value, I'm not sure why the "macs are worthless" poster said what he did. There may be some religious ferver about some computers (as among Linux or Mac users), but it is rare among Windows users. They usually see their machines as necessary evils, kind of like an enema prior to a colonooscopy.

Ed.

in article 3f6e68b9$0$18889$ snipped-for-privacy@news.optusnet.com.au, Mark Newton at mark snipped-for-privacy@optusnet.com.au wrote on 9/21/03 8:12 PM:

Reply to
Edward A. Oates

Well, Ed, I feel no 'religious fervor' about my Mac - it's simply a tool to do a job. But it's the right tool for the job. :-)

All the best,

Mark.

Reply to
Mark Newton

Actually, I envy Mac owners somewhat. When they go to a store to buy software, they don't have to browse row after row of software packages.

It's all there on one small shelf....

Mike Tennent "IronPenguin"

Reply to
Mike Tennent

Kind of like when I was in the army: now let's see, which fatigues should I wear today? Oh, I like the green ones.

in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Mike Tennent at snipped-for-privacy@darientel.net wrote on 9/22/03 5:24 AM:

Reply to
Edward A. Oates

"?I suppose that you have never done much of anything on a Macintosh."

You suppose incorrectly. I worked a seven month contract deal to shore up the sales and customer service department of a small engineering and manufacturing firm with four sales/CS persons. The entire company was using iMacs with their cute colors, tiny screens and limited amount of acceptable software programs. I hated those things. And two of them did, indeed, crash about once a week.

"?Actually, if you think about it, in twenty years pretty much everything we have right now will be in the same category."

Good point!

"your comments regarding the availability of business software for Macs are completely irrelevant ?And while we're at it, a wingnut is...?" Looks like you missed my point completely. And if you have to ask, you probably are one.

"?but ALL that stuff is going to be web based pretty soon anyway." Don't hold your breath waiting for any sane person or business to place their contact management on the web. "? I'm not a business user." Yes, I can see that.

"? With comparable software"

Aye, there's the rub.

"? the defacto standard? for the print and publication industry is the Mac. ?rather contradicts his claims that they are worthless for business use?"

Print and publication is ART related, so it makes sense that they would be using Macs. There is more graphic design software available for Mac users. But, that's a smaller group. The vast majority of businesses do NOT use Macs for most departments.

Reply to
Rhoobarb

What WAS your point? The original question concerned train simulator software. Your wittering on about business software was irrelevant then, and still is now.

I asked what a "wingnut" is because it is a term that is not in common usage here, hence my unfamiliarity with it. If you are unable to answer the question, why not simply say so? Or do you not actually know yourself?

Again, how is that relevant to the original query?

Mark.

Reply to
Mark Newton

Okay, let?s break it down:

  1. The original post asked, ?Is there any software available, that will simulate trains on a Mac like the train-sim.? I guess I should?ve typed : ??Not just no, but, HELL NO! - AND HERE?S MY EXPLAINATION AS TO WHY?

  1. What is a wingnut? It?s slang. Don?t they have unabridged dictionaries with slang terms where you live? Wingnut:

  1. ?? Again, how is that relevant to the original query??

Goes to #1 above. Also, I was just answering to another?s response.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

yadda, yadda...

Reply to
Rhoobarb

Which has been explained several times as being not just wrong, but DAMN wrong... After all, Mac users can run Mac software _AND_ Winbloes... so Mac users actually have MORE software available...

Yes, they do... Don't they have "manners" where YOU live?

Not even close.

By the way, learn where your apostophe key is... you keep hitting the question mark.

Reply to
Joe Ellis

LOL!

I was going to ask that myself, but I didn't want to seem rude. Thanks, Joe. :-)

All the best,

Mark.

Reply to
Mark Newton

Reply to
Barry Silverthorn

I AM using the apostophe key '''''. See! @#$%^&*()_+ */-?

Either your or this 'newsgroup viewer' is/must've been f**ked up!

Sorry.

Reply to
Rhoobarb

"... Mac users can run... Winbloes"

Yeah, at their risk! That was a part of the 'crashing/freezing' problem I saw at the firm I consulted with!

Reply to
Rhoobarb

"... Yes, they do... Don't they have "manners" where YOU live?"

Yes, they do. Don't they have thick skins where you live? Obviously not, you girly-man!

Reply to
Rhoobarb