Transfer Tables/Traversers

Hi,

I've started looking at microlayouts that use either "transfer tables", "traversers", or turntables instead of space-gobbling turnouts. However, I've not found anything on how to go about building and wiring them. Can anyone recommend any web sites?

Thanks

Reply to
CowGoesMoo

There is an interesting transfer table being used on the Proto 87 shunting layout based on the PRR -

Check under "Gallery" - I think the photos on construction start on about page 9.

Reply to
Digital Railroader LLC

try

or

Gene

There was an article in RMC some months ago. Look in the magazine index.

Jon Miller

Brawa (HO), Marklin (HO and Z) and MiniTrix (N) make traversers - all you need is a very fat wallet! The problem with a traverser is that it needs driving at both ends simultaneously or it will twist and jamb. You could use racks and a longtitudinal shaft with matching gears or two nuts/threaded rods geared together, or as I did bell cranks and a "Z" linkage under the baseboard. It was not particularly elegant but it worked fine.

Another possibility which appeared on a few prototypes was the "sector plate" which was basically a small part of a turntable which only turned far enough to line up with 2 or 3 tracks where the length of a station was severely restricted. It saves the length of a turnout on a station platform.

Reply to
Gregory Procter