Triang Hornby motors

Hi, I tried a google on this but didn't really get a straight amswer.
I have two Triang Hornby locos c1972, (class 37 and class 31) both
with same motor and the same problem - they don't run ! They are not Ringfield motors but the 3 pole type (?) Hace replaced the armature but doesn't seem to make any difference. Any ideas? Could it be the motor magnet ?
Where can I either a) get spare parts from or b)get the motors repaired ?
Thank you for any help you can offer.
PS - Other locos on the layout work fine.
On 9 Jan 2004 08:51:40 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (tzd3sw) wrote:

Are they shorting?
I think these have a variant of the original Triang motor. If so, the carbon brushes are pushed against the commutator by a springy wire that wraps around the bolt holding the magnet.
One of the brushes requires an insulated sleeve over this. If that has slipped or failed the motor won't run.
Triang used insulated wheels on one side, and connected the pickups to the insulated brush via a tab that was held in place by the same springy wire.
The other side was uninsulated, meaning that the brush was live to the motor frame, which was live to the chassis block, which was live to the axles which were live to the uninsulated wheels.

"tzd3sw" <

Ask on uk.rec.model.rail
-- Cheers Roger T.
Home of the Great Eastern Railway www.highspeedplus.com/~rogertra
On 9 Jan 2004 08:51:40 -0800, tzd3sw wrote:
=>Where can I either a) get spare parts from or b)get the motors =>repaired ?
a) nowhere that I know of; you might try the uk.rec.models.rail group for possible help. b) ditto.
These motors have not been manufactured for twenty years or more. You might be able to replace them with motors of a similar size, but that would require pulling the worm and remounting it, etc, and your question suggests that such would be beyond your capability. The newer motors would also perform differently.
Wolf Kirchmeir ................................. If you didn't want to go to Chicago, why did you get on this train? (Garrison Keillor) <just one w and plain ca for correct address>
Wolf Kirchmeir wrote:

The Tri-ang motor bogie is built around the frame. It's quite practical to pull the armature out without removing the worms because the slotted in bearings are outboard of the armature and worms.
The fault described sounds like there is no complete circuit wheel/brush/armature/brush/frame. Alternatively, the insulation on the brush spring has been left out, in which case the transformer/controller cut-out will pop.
If all else fails, I have a currently unused, well worn bogie. (In New Zealand)
Regards, Greg.P.
On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 10:55:56 +1300, Gregory Procter

How did it get to be 'well worn' ? Keith Make friends in the hobby. Visit <http://www.grovenor.dsl.pipex.com/ Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.
Keith Norgrove wrote:

Round and round and round and ....

As suggested by another, look for a short but if I remember this vintage design, they will be the magnahesion variety and nylon axles.
My experience is the most likely suspects is the brass pickup fingers either shorting to frame or open circuit (relied on mechanical contact) or steel "bits" that have been attracted to the "traction" magnets and shorting from frame to wheel.
TW