Re: B&O and New York Central and Track Question

=>I was wondering whether it would look realistic having [B&O and NYC] coming in to a train depot but on different track.

It would even be realistic to come into the depot on the _same_ track. These RRs shared trackage at stations in many towns, and shared "union stations" with each other and other RRs in larger cities.

As for your track question, mt prference is awlays to use the widest radius track that fits the space, and even to adapt trackplans to accommodate wider radius track. This often means a simpler track plan, but IMO that's a worthwhile trade off. If you need space for more trains, add "staging tracks"

- a hidden or open yard in which you store the trains between runs. With careful engineering, staging tracks an be palced under the layout on their own level - just make the grade up to the display level gentle enough that locos can handle long enough trains up it. Aim for 3 to 4% (or less, if at all possible.)

HTH&HF

Wolf Kirchmeir ................................. If you didn't want to go to Chicago, why did you get on this train? (Garrison Keillor)

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

trains of the

reprsentation

the Lionel

; however; the

It sounds like something is reversed, either in your electrical hook up or locomotive wiring.

In conventional operation the bell and whistle are triggered by DC voltages being applied to the track. One polarity triggers the bell, the opposite polarity triggers the whistle.

If pressing the whistle button on your transformer causes the bell of your Lionel locos to go off when on the K-Line track, try reversing the wires between the transformer and track.

If there's no whistle button on the transformer and your using one of those K-Line boxes for whistle and bell control, try reversing the position of the slide switch when operating Lionel locos on that track.

coming in to a

with O-27 track,

on Snap Track.

Personally, I'd see if the local hobby shop would take it all in trade against replacing it with the equivelant amount of Atlas-O track. The store where my repair shop is located does that for customers that want one track type when buying sets from different manufacturers.

If the K-Line track is the stuff that doesn't have pins like the Lionel track, pick up enough packs of pins to install them on all of that track. If you screw it down without the pins the pressure exerted by the screw can cause the very small contact strips under the rails to bypass each other here and there.

The result is random sections of dead track, which I can tell you from personal experience, are a major pain to track down and fix. I ended up unfastening everything, and installing pins on every piece of track to get the trains running on a display layout using that track.

layout/s.

Yes, for any number of reasons.

-- Len Head Rust Scraper KL&B Eastern Lines RR Museum

Reply to
Len