Tsunami warning system.

On 3/20/2011 5:57 PM Lobby Dosser spake thus:

Well, to me, that's a Bad Thing, as those models are just too damned teeny-tiny to properly see anything.
*However*, there's one aspect of those small scales that could be great: the ability to model huge landscapes not possible in larger scales, with sweeping vistas. And that is a very intriguing thing.
--
The current state of literacy in our advanced civilization:

yo
wassup

That's Exactly what I want. There is a section of the Columbia Gorge from Wishram, Washington west at least as far as Horse Thief Lake that I really enjoy just for the scenery. The prototype action on both sides of the river is interesting, but I just want to run passenger trains on that section of the Washington side. In T scale full scale scenery would be possible. Looking a T again, I'm thinking I might be happy starting with Japanese prototypes. I'd have to sell my N scale stuff first though or my spouse would have a fit. I already do N and O (n30) and one more might be a scale too far ... :()
If you have Google Earth, a look at that area of the Gorge might be enjoyable if you've never been there.
Lobby Dosser wrote:

I already have G and HO. I got my first sample T set in the post a few days ago. Train + track + controller. It came in a carton about 8" x 5" x5". The set of four packaged Japanese EMU would fit in a cigarette box with space for at least one more set. All those years of sneaking HO locos home under my coat ... They even produce 80' rolling chassis which only need a body added!
Greg.P.

LOL!!
Shop: Do you need a bag for that?
Me: Yes, plain brown please!
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Right now (well, when I get off the net) I'm struggling with just how much detail to include and how much to ignore. I just drew up a goods bogie (US truck) and it scales out at 3.8mm long. Should I include bolts on the axle boxes? Should I bother with axle boxes? Brake gear? Truss rods? By the time I rescale the CAD drawing to finished size the lines only show two blobs (wheels) and a single lumpy line between. Ahhhggg!
Greg.P.

Lobby Dosser wrote:

N and HO started that way.
Greg.P.

Was looking at their switches last evening. Manual control and surprisingly inexpensive compared to HO.
--
Ever wonder why doctors, dentists and lawyers have to Practice so much? Ever
wonder why you let them Practice on You?
Lobby Dosser wrote:

They are currently offering only turnouts with reverse curves incorporated, but they are easily "Dremeled" to remove the reverse curve. There's a fair degree of accuracy required though.
Easy enough to fit a point motor under the baseboard - that results in a relatively deep baseboard thoug.
On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 18:00:09 -0800, David Nebenzahl

A famous Z-gauge layout in Britain (not mine, my aging eyes are in O).
http://www.flickr.com/photos/snaptophobic/4662339637 /
"Istrane" is pronounced "eye strain".

Scratch building in Z?!! Istrane fits.
Thanks for the link. Nice section on photographing models there if you browse a bit.
Oooo, and a Thames Barge!!
--
Ever wonder why doctors, dentists and lawyers have to Practice so much? Ever
wonder why you let them Practice on You?
David Nebenzahl wrote:

The gauge is 3mm. Japanese scale is 1:450 For the UK and USa I suggest 1:457 (0.667mm:1') or 1:456 (1":38') For New Zealand with 1067mm gauge I'm working on 1:360.

That could be reduced to "It" and "I".

Ahhhrghhh!!~ Not again!! Why not stick to the same scale?
Lobby Dosser wrote:

Simple problem: - If the scale gauge is wider than prototype then bogie sideframes have to be moved outwards to clear the wheels and on steam engines the cylinders and rods have to be moved out. That's assuming Proto 450 wheel and track standards, but current T wheels are more N++ standard (proportionately) The Japanese have painted themselves into a non-scale corner by representing 1067mm gauge with overwidth 3mm in 450 scale. Mind you, they've done the same with HO (1:80) and N (1:150) Here in NZ we use 1:64 and 1:120 on HO and N track.
Greg.P. NZ

Tut tut tut Greg. You are trying to confuse our poor American friends, not difficult, I know, just as it is not difficult to confuse Poms and you Kiwis. Just slightly more difficult for us and even harder the further west you travel. Stir with VBG!
To enlighten our friends, 1:64 is S scale and when used with 16.5 mm wide track ( as used in HO & OO ) but with a different sleeper / tie spacing for those of us who are pure of heart ( or fanatics ), is about 99.8% accurate for the 3 foot 6 inch gauge used in NZ, southern Africa, Japan, parts of India and some states of Australia (WA, SA, Queensland and Tasmania) and is known as Sn3.5 or Sn42 in inches.
I will one day finish my WAGR 4-6-0, G class when the house is completed and I can set up my workshop in the shed.
    Alan
snipped-for-privacy@iinet.net.oz wrote:

Hi Alan,
you realize I've been blackmarked by many here for making those sorts of comments. ;-) Around here 1:64 scale is known as "3/16ths" or occassionally "1:64". "S" isn't particularly descriptive.
Regards, Greg.P. NZ

Gee, I don't know if we can keep up with you buggers ... :p)
Lobby Dosser wrote:

You lot never have ;-)

Too busy cleaning up after yours. :)
--
Ever wonder why doctors, dentists and lawyers have to Practice so much? Ever
wonder why you let them Practice on You?
Lobby Dosser wrote:

On the TV news (RT) they said that since you invaded Afghanistan you yanks have invaded 22 other countries - that would make it us cleaning up after you!
Greg.P.

I forget where I read it, but at one point in time (maybe shortly after WWII) it was said that the English had fought with almost every nation on the planet, including, of course, Afghanistan. I'm distinguishing between Brits in general and the English here.
Here's a score just off the top:
Scotland, Wales, Ireland, France (once for 100 years), Spain, Portugal, Germany, USA (twice), Russia, Egypt, Persia, India, Malaya, South Africa, Turkey, Italy, Themselves - numerous times, Nigeria, Kenya, Zulus, Korea, China, Japan, And Afghanistan.
That's two more than the US and I know I'm missing some in the Baltic and Adriatic. While I was a Brit, at least five countries were fighting the UK. Since I've been a Yank, we yanks have invaded two countries and Grenada.
But we are one people separated by a loading gauge.