Tsunami warning system.

Hi Alan,

you realize I've been blackmarked by many here for making those sorts of comments. ;-) Around here 1:64 scale is known as "3/16ths" or occassionally "1:64". "S" isn't particularly descriptive.

Regards, Greg.P. NZ

Reply to
Greg Procter

Gee, I don't know if we can keep up with you buggers ... :p)

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

You lot never have ;-)

Reply to
Greg Procter

Too busy cleaning up after yours. :)

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

On the TV news (RT) they said that since you invaded Afghanistan you yanks have invaded 22 other countries - that would make it us cleaning up after you!

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

I forget where I read it, but at one point in time (maybe shortly after WWII) it was said that the English had fought with almost every nation on the planet, including, of course, Afghanistan. I'm distinguishing between Brits in general and the English here.

Here's a score just off the top:

Scotland, Wales, Ireland, France (once for 100 years), Spain, Portugal, Germany, USA (twice), Russia, Egypt, Persia, India, Malaya, South Africa, Turkey, Italy, Themselves - numerous times, Nigeria, Kenya, Zulus, Korea, China, Japan, And Afghanistan.

That's two more than the US and I know I'm missing some in the Baltic and Adriatic. While I was a Brit, at least five countries were fighting the UK. Since I've been a Yank, we yanks have invaded two countries and Grenada.

But we are one people separated by a loading gauge.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

"Lobby Dosser" <

Grenada, which was a Commonwealth Realm at the time with Queen Elizabeth as head of State.

Technically, the Americans invading Granada was an act or war and aggression against the British Crown. Seems the American "Military Intelligence" and their Diplomatic Corp. were neither very intelligent nor very diplomatic. Fortunately, the Queen's government in Westminster decided that in the interests of Anglo-American friendship, it would over look this major blunder on the part of the US government and not go to war.

Even so, the invasion was criticised by the United Kingdom, Canada and the United Nations General Assembly, which condemned it as "a flagrant violation of international law".

Reply to
Roger Traviss

"Military Intelligence" = the ultimate oxymoron American "Military Intelligence" = criminal oxymoron.

Reply to
a_a_a

As we all know, there's simply nobody worse than the country your compatriots want to live in.

All those millions of folks who emigrated here from other English- speaking countries must have been *terribly* misguided.

Snort.

Reply to
Twibil

Yes, indeed. They had no way of knowing what a lot of warmongering world-dominators they were going to have to contend with in the future.

Reply to
a_a_a

RT television made it 22 invasions in about ten years. Sure, the Brits were horrific for several centuries - something for us all to learn from and avoid.

and a track gauge :-)

Reply to
Greg Procter

As we all know, there's simply nobody worse than the country your compatriots want to live in.

All those millions of folks who emigrated here from other English- speaking countries must have been *terribly* misguided.

The American myth. "Everyone wants to come here." Probably true of Europeans back some time ago but not these days. Quite the opposite in fact given the U.S.'s extremely poor health services, "If you can't pay, you die!" and the perceived violent nature and crime rate of the country. "If guns make you safe", why does the US have the highest gun murder rate in the so called 'western world'?" If guns make you safe, I should be able to walk down the streets of East LA at 1:00 in the morning in perfect safety.

Since around the 1930s, immigration from the wealthier nations to the US has dropped off while immigration from the poorest nations, both legal and illegal immigration has climbed. It's an American myth that "everybody want to live in the US." Personally, I don't know anyone who does. The vast majority of Canadians and Brits and French and Germans and Swiss and Belgians and Italians and just about every other European country are quite happily living where they are.

However, Mexicans, Cubans etc., would give their eye teeth to live in the U.S simply because they'd be better off there.

Ditto for people trying to get into all the countries named above for people who find those countries easier to reach. Most Africans for example find it easier to get into Europe so don't bother with the U.S.A.

Reply to
Roger Traviss

We're getting over-run by yanks escaping the USa here in New Zealand! ("escaping" is their often used term, not mine)

Getting back to railways - I have several aquaintances who earn their bread producing model locomotives for the US market, having matured their art producing for the NZ market. On the other side there are firms like Rivarossi, Bachmann, Mehanotehnika that have gone broke supplying the same market. Heljan seems to have moved to supplying the British market. Rivarossi in particular went broke twice (or thrice) when the US importer reneged on payments due. So, my question today is is the US market worth considering?

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Good choice!

And rightly so! Criticised it myself. And it was only a one movie war. Kudos to the first person who can name the movie and stars. No peeking at the IMDB! Astonishment if anyone can find More than one.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

tch, tch!

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

As we all know, there's simply nobody worse than the country your compatriots want to live in.

All those millions of folks who emigrated here from other English- speaking countries must have been *terribly* misguided.

Snort.

I am that soldier ...

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Now there is one of the most astonishing myths about this country. But at least it keeps out those looking for a handout. Well, some of them ...

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

I'd say yes. In the area where I live (Portland, Oregon) we have three thriving local shops that do nothing but model railroads and one much larger shop that devotes about a third of its floor space to model railroads., a third to RC and the remainder to models of other stuff. The generic shop is quite a good place for finding cross over bits such as 1/48 scale military vehicles and odd bits of hardware for controlling switches and such in the RC section.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Yeh, well what can you say about colonials ... :p)

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

It's what they became. Started with the Pilgrims, who left religious persecution in Europe, then set up a harsher version in New England.

Etc.

Wolf K.

Reply to
Wolf K