UP and lawsuits

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 14:36:41 -0800, Steve Caple

Q: What's the difference between Dan Quayle & Dick Cheney? A: When Quayle was vice president he only shot his own mouth off.
Dick Cheney by his own admission "had better things to do" than go into the US military during the Vietnam War. So he received no firearms training from the US military. He seems to be a quick study however, he's already learned how to shoot friends and allies.
--

"I believe there are more instances of the abridgement
of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent

I've never bought a railroad-specific calendar, so these questions goes out to others -- in the hope of trying to better understand the UPRR / Huxtable situation:
1) Have you ever bought a railroad-specific calendar? 2) Do you have one now? 3) What led to buy one (or pass on buying them)? 4) Does it matter to you if the calendar is produced by / licensed by the specific railroad?
____ Mark
Mark Mathu wrote:

Yes
Yes
Interest in the specific railroad - what else?

No. What matters are: 1. the quality of the photos (technique, aesthetics, content); 2. the quality of the information in the captions; 3. the quality of the printing (too many volunteer groups skimp on this, unfortunately.)
PS: I'm not interested in the UP, but I do like the Challengers - a better looking loco than the Big Boy IMO.

Or collectability. I have a 1969 Union Pacific "Centennial" calendar in my collection, mostly because I know for certain that it might be worth some money some day. All the pictures are paintings by Howard Fogg.
--
-Glennl
e-mail hint: add 1 to quantity after brasil.

... the particular photographer is one that comes to mind.
1) No but then I've never hunted for one. 2) Yes and no, Orchard supply always had RR calendars but this year it's flowers. I emailed Sears about that and paste old calendar RR pictures over the flowers on this years calendar. 3) NA usually I don't buy calendars however if I did it would need to be era and RR specific. 4) No
Jon Miller spake thus:

OSH printed train calendars this year just like they always do. You just got there too late to get one. I have one here.
This sounds about as reliable as your knowledge of anything having to do with the legal system.
--
Every American is full of Cheney's buckshot.

- Sign on the Grand-Lake Theater, Oakland, CA, Feb. 14, 2006

got there too late to get one. I have one here.< Interesting, I got there the day after New Years and the local store didn't have any as I asked. In fact they seems to be oblivious to the fact there were RR calendars!

with the legal system.< I don't claim to know anything about the legal system except that it's screwed up. I'm just a common person and when everything is controlled by lawyers it's a good time to have a general clean-up*.
And speaking of the legal system I just saw on TV that the judge just denied an injection against stopping Blackberry service. As my old common self commented earlier wonder if they might take a look at the patent system.
* check our per-capital lawyer population with every other country in the world.
Jon Miller spake thus:

Uh-huh. Sounds like good old all-American know-nothingism to me. Mark Twain and Shakespeare aside ("kill all the lawyers"), tell me this, Mr. Miller: next time you get sued, or involved in an automobile accident, or divorced, or decide to start a business or sell one, who're you gonna call: some guy with a bunch of NRA stickers on his pickup and one well-thumbed law book from 1986? Didn't think so.
There's a reason there are lawyers out there, you know, aside from the usual cartoon shark stereotypes: we are a society of laws. Maybe you'd prefer it if there weren't so many danged laws, huh? Yeah, that oughta solve the problem.
Regardless of how litigious Uncle Puke-Head may be, I can guarantee that if you were the holder of a copyright, trademark or patent that you were depending on for income, you'd damn sure protect it with lawyers every which way.
By the way, one doesn't always have to resort to hiring a lawyer. If it's something fairly straightforward, one can use one of Nolo Press's fine publications (http://nolo.com /). Perfect for that DIY no-contest divorce, tenant-landlord dispute, or living will.
--
Every American is full of Cheney's buckshot.

- Sign on the Grand-Lake Theater, Oakland, CA, Feb. 14, 2006

with the legal system.< I am a firm believer in that (Mark Twain, I think) saying. One lawyer in town and he lives in an apartment; two lawyer in town and they both have mansions.
Jon Miller wrote:

Actually, OSH had both railroad and flower calendars this year. I have one of the RR versions. When I went in, they had both available. They always seem to not have them until about the 2nd week in Jan., and then run out very quickly after that. That is in the West Los Angeles store.
Since they now carry Craftsmen tools, there's always something I can buy...
Best Regards,
DAve

No.
Yes.
Get them as promos from vendors in the industry (no, I don't know why they tend to pick one railroad for their illustrations).

No.
John
1 Yes 2 No 3 Intrest in content,quality 4 No. 5 If the big bad rr giant is going to charge everyone to enrich their corporate ''bottom line'',god help us all. Go Nils,Take it to 'em,bud. Good Luck! Hank H. Stockton,Ca.