Ha Ha!

I little while ago I acquired one of those Enfield flat twin two-strokes for no better reason than to find out if their reputation for being 'difficult' is deserved. As purchased, the governor was in kit form in a separate box and I wondered why the vendor had not taken the few minutes to assemble it and bolt it on to the engine (if at all possible I like to keep things at least loose assembled to stop bits getting lost).

Anyway, last night I finally got round to having a look at the engine; the governor seemed fairly straightforward - eight steel balls between two conical plates with an adjustable spring load - the only problem being that one needed about fifteen fingers to hold all the components in place. So, the delicately poised assembly was offered up to the engine and - bugger - the inlet manifold is in the way! No problem, off with the manifold, perform the balancing act again and bolt it all together, success! Right, refit manifold - not so fast soldier - catch 22 is that with the governor in place the manifold won't go on. Just the designer's little joke you understand, at least now I know why the governor was not fitted!

The right way to do it appeared to be to dismantle the centrifugal clutch, remove the flywheel, fan, cowls etc etc. But there looked to be a small chance that if the governor and manifold could be offered up simultaneously then they might just go on. Now at least twenty five fingers some elastic bands and bulldog clips were required to stop the combined assemblies doing their finest fragmentation grenade impression all over the dusty workshop floor, but after a couple of attempts it worked! I was just congratulating myself and tightening up the last bolt (21/75ths Mongolian standard intermediate I think), when Helen appeared at the door "You were only going out into that workshop for a few minutes and that was three hours ago" - how time flies when you are enjoying yourself!

There must be many other examples of 'comedy' design out there, one which springs to my mind is the earthing brush on the Lucas N series magneto which lives under the ID tag!

Reply to
Nick H

Talking of brushes. I was on a classic car run some years ago and came across another participant in a pre war Austin that had died. The owner couldn't understand it as all was well until the engine just cut out. Fuel was OK and there was a healthy spark from the coil. Then we tried the plug leads. No spark at the plugs. Distributor etc looked good. Tried another rotor arm, didn't help. Finally found the carbon brush that contacts the rotor arm wasn't conducting. Changed that and away she went. Never known a piece of carbon to stop conducting before.

John

Reply to
John Manders

I have known over-enthusiastic greasing to saturate the brush. ttfn Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

Dunno about stationary engines which normally have lots of space around them, but certainly the points on early Triumph Tina scooters required the crankcase to be split to access them.

To offset this, Triumph Trident centre big end shells could be replaced through the sump plate - just as well, too!

Moving OT somewhat (but still engines), the plugs on Rolls-Royce vee eights fitted to the Silver Cloud III had the plugs under the bank. These were accessed by removing the wheel, then undoing twenty three 1/4" BSF bolts around the inside of the wheel arch, most of which will be rusted solid and sheer off in their threaded holes.

Joy.

Then, of course, the misfire will prove to be on the other bank.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
J K Siddorn

Or of course the Sunbeam Tiger where the rear plugs have to be acessed via a hatch in the bulkhead. Still, to be fair it was never designed to a stonking great V8 shoehorned into the engine bay :-)

Regards

Philip T-E

Reply to
Philip THornton-Evison

"J K Siddorn" wrote (snip):-

I once managed to replace the clutch release bearing retaining clip on an Imp working through the starter motor hole. I was young and supple then - bet I couldn't do it now.

Reply to
Nick H

I could add all modern vehicles to the list, anybody tried replacing the reversing light switch on a Daewoo Matiz. It was almost quicker to take the engine out. Saved my Daughter a few quid by not taking to the garage though :-((

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman
[snip] |Moving OT somewhat (but still engines), the plugs on Rolls-Royce vee eights |fitted to the Silver Cloud III had the plugs under the bank. These were |accessed by removing the wheel, then undoing twenty three 1/4" BSF bolts |around the inside of the wheel arch, most of which will be rusted solid and |sheer off in their threaded holes.

So that is where Peugeot get their ideas from then. Peugeot even fit disintegrating cranckshaft pulleys to the 2000HDI engine so one can spend all day getting the wheel arch / sump cover off to fit the Rolls-Rorce priced £115 replacement!

Reply to
use_reply_to_address_but_not

Not all modern stuff is bad Martin. I've never done one but I'm told that Vauxhall clutches are a doddle. The main G/box shaft can be withdrawn through the box and the clutch removed via a removable plate on the bellhousing. About 30 mins work I'm told. I did wonder how BMW intended you to replace the plugs on their V12 so I asked. They are platinum and last for 100,000 miles apparently. For a laugh, try buying a new headlamp bulb for the discharge types. Try £150 each. In 10 years from now, I can see cars being scrapped because a bulb has blown.

John

Reply to
John Manders

John, I dont wish to alarm Kim but a friend of mine went to a garage to get a sender unit for the speedo which is mounted on the rear axle of his Volvo and got given a chair and then a quote for £600, next stop breakers yard.

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Not mine, old boy! Mine has a gurt thick cable running from the gearbox to the speedo head.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn,

Reply to
J K Siddorn