UP steam lettering - white or silver?

I've tried magnifying glasses on all the color photos I can find, but I just can't conclusively tell - most locos have enough weathering that the
lettering is slightly gray which could be either dirty white or dulled silver. I've tried the UPHS site, Google and the model train magazine index, but it looks like people are only concerned about the greyhound scheme. The decal manufacturers offer both with no guidance that I could find. Did the UP use white or silver for the lettering on plain black locos, and if they changed, when was it? Thanks in advance, Geezer

UP used white and ATSF used silver.
Thanks Jon, Geezer

Also note that SP used "Lettering Gray" which is a near white gray. Just enough black in the white to take off the brightness of the white.
-- Yeppie, Bush is such an idiot that He usually outwits everybody else. How dumb!