USRA Passenger Car Paint

I was reading recently (can't recall the item) that a RR painted its equipment tuscan red until 1918 when it adopted Pullman green as its passenger color in accordance with a USRA dictate. I had not heard this before, but I believe some other RRs also went from brighter schemes to drab green about that time - I'm thinking about the old C&O orange scheme. Has anyone heard of such a USRA rule? How did the Pennsy and Milwaukee avoid complying? Geezer

Reply to
Geezer

Interesting. The Boston and Maine switched the other way, from Pullman green to "Passenger Maroon" back in that time frame.

David Starr

Reply to
David Starr

Notorious penny-pinchers, they probably bought the other lines' surplus.

Reply to
News

You got that right. B&M was so cheap that they only painted the ENDS of cabooses bright red. Sides were painted in the cheaper box car red.

David Starr

Reply to
David Starr

[...

Oh, well, so did the CPR. But they did paint the handrails bright yellow.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir