water

Here's one for y'all: my wife wants to do the water, when I get a set up. She looked at the article in the current MR, and complains it doesn't tell
her anything she needs to know. I think she means it doesn't explain what "work the epoxy with paint stirrers, etc". Does it mean beating on the mostly-set epoxy with implements of destruction <g>, like, say,
__________/___________
to make a wave that faces the direction of the /?
mark
--
"Armed force and coercion are the antonyms of democracy so
isn't using tanks and cannons to spit out `liberty' and

Yes, that's pretty much it. You have to wait for the stuff to partially set so that it'll retain the shape you're trying to give it; otherwise, it'll just blend back smooth.
You might want to try experimenting first with a small amount of goop to see how to "work" it.
whitroth wrote:

Well, uh, sorta!!!
The 'epoxy', when mixed and poured into the lake/ river/ pond/ whatever, will be kind of thick, like honey. As it 'sets', it thickens (hardens). The "working with 'paint stirrers'", is referring to 'attacking he 'thickening' epoxy surface, and creating the desired 'wavelets'.
The problem being, that even when it has 'thickened/ hardened' to he point of almost being 'set', the 'wavelets' that you are so proud of, will gradually settle back into a 'smooth' 'water surface'. It takes practice to 'feel' when the stuff is 'about set' but still capable of you 'making waves' that will look right.
Also, unless you are talking about a 'bow wave' from a small boat, there really shouldn't be much 'wave action' visible. [Spend a few days 'looking at waves' on your local lake/ pond/ river.] Most of what needs to be done for appearance sake, is 'painting he 'riverbed/ lake bottom/ etc. also tinting the epoxy works. [Several 1/8" or 1/16" pours, darker at the bottom, less 'tin' as you get to the final surface. (This also lets you control 'debris' on the 'bottom' easier.)
Oh yeah, about 'beating', don't, it gets 'air bubbles' entrained in the epoxy, very hard to get rid of, and spoils the effect.
Chuck D.
On 11/12/2008 8:54 PM Charles Davis spake thus:

Just "curious", Chuck; why do you "find" it "necessary" to use all those "quotation marks"?
Oh, I see; they're for "emphasis".
On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 09:49:19 -0800, David Nebenzahl

Oh, I see, you're an arrogant shmuck.
RE
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Got it in one!!!
Talking (E-Mail conversation) lacks the visual ques of 'Face to Face' conversation. Also complicating things, is the lack of 'Feed Back'!! There isn't any way for you to be aware (during the conversation) of the 'puzzled look' on the faces of those listening, Which completely eliminates the possibility of YOU changing what and how things are said for better comprehension.
The English Language is 'perfect' for being able to unintentionally garble meanings when talking. That is the problem I'm most trying to avoid.
Chuck D.
Charles Davis wrote:

*sigh*
There's supposedly a true story that I read a few years back Some city councillor had arranged, or was arranging, I disremember, for a sign, and had drawn it up with quotation marks for emphasis. One of the other council members called him on it, noting that it was the wrong usage. The first one argued that was the way it was "currently" used.
The second responded by asking the first if it was ok if a reported wrote that the first councillor and his "wife" had been seen coming out of a hotel.
The first councillor gave in.
mark *see* *what* I ->MEAN<-
--
If the rich let everyone else pay all the taxes, it's capitalism.
If the rest of us complain, and want to them to pay their fair share, it's
whitroth wrote:

That's a good example of the capabilities of the ENGLISH language to confuse and confound, with only passing relevance to the truth.
"Have you stopped beating your wife yet?"
Chuck D.
On 11/14/2008 1:17 AM Charles Davis spake thus:

That trick question proves nothing of the kind: it shows how language can be used cleverly to hang someone so that they're damned if they do, damned if they don't. The language doesn't confuse here; the speaker does.
You know, the language isn't as ambiguous and unclear as you make it out to be. There are these people called writers who are somehow able to communicate exactly what they intend to the reader, and have been able to do so for thousands of years without resorting to smiley faces, "LOL", etc., incorrect use of punctuation or other dumbed-down techniques.
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Actually, you are right about that, it's the 'average' user, that causes the problem.

Correct --- those are the 'professional' and 'semi-professional' users of the language, and the real skillful ones, put out writings aimed at specific 'sub groups' of the population, and most everyone never notices that the 'writings' are 'dumbed down' to match the target audience. The real skillful ones are capable of writings that aren't 'dumbed down' but are still understandable. (Isaac Asimov, comes to mind)
Chuck D.

Charles Davis wrote:

<snip>
I worry more 'bout her beating *me*.
mark "don't ask"
--
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean you don't have real enemies.

On 11/16/2008 6:25 PM whitroth spake thus:

Well, then the question would be "Has your wife stopped beating you yet?". Still works.
snipped-for-privacy@gamewood.net writes:

That depends on the mixture you use. Some stuff, like "miracle water" is actually very, very fluid - more so than water before it cures. In any event, none I've seen is sculptable until quite a way into the curing process.

If you're doing it that way, you have to catch the epoxy at just the right moment in hardening, and also while it's stinking to high heaven. Personally, I think gel medium (stuff that painters mix with pigments to make acrylic colors) works a LOT better, and it's easier to fix if you blow it. If you're not going for depth, I'd skip the epoxy entirely and just use clear gel medium. It really looks great for ditchwater and small streams. It's also much easier to tint if you want.

That's a good point too. If you're at the point in curing where making waves is possible, it's probably too late to use the blow torch trick to make the bubbles pop. *
like corkscrews.
PV wrote:

Hmmm... two questions: first, how 'bout aiming the sticks in, and then wacking the tops of the sticks with a hammer or mallet? (NO, I do *NOT* mean a very large steam engine, cut that out *now*....<g>) Second, has anyone tried, or heard of anyone trying, to use something to vibrate the table - vibrator, adjustable drill, to set up a standing wave in the epoxy?
mark
--
If the rich let everyone else pay all the taxes, it's capitalism.
If the rest of us complain, and want to them to pay their fair share, it's

Never tried, but I would guess the epoxy would shatter. When it's cured, it's plastic.

I can't imagine that looking good, if it worked. It might cause the epoxy to fail to set too.
Seriously - try some clear gel medium. It's great for this application. When it's wet, it's white and a bit thicker than cake frosting. When it's dry (which takes a while!) it's clear (if you haven't tinted it) and quite hard.
Here's a link to give you an idea: http://www.pearlpaint.com/shop~parentID~8710~categoryID~8699.htm
*
like corkscrews.