What's 'wrong' with Tyco?

Which was, of course, one of the major differences. Triang was two rail DC, whereas Hornby was three rail (centre track pickup). Hornby only switched to two rail in 1959.

Strictly speaking, Hornby was the clockwork O scale, the OO was Hornby Dublo.

Reply to
Robert Small

"Robert Small"

Yes Bob, you're correct. I started with Dublo two rail, I was 12 years old at the time. Got my first model railway equipment on Christmas Day 1960. Think I said I was 12 in my previous post. Ah well.

The Dublo two rail track looked much better than Tri-ang with it's big ugly grey ballast (rather like Bachmann E-Z track of today looks). In fact, Dublo track looked a lot like Peco track of the time. The new plastic Dublo goods rolling stock looked much better than the Tri-ang with see through fretted brake gear on Dublo Vs the solid casting of Tri-ang etc., etc.

-- Cheers

Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

You mean the one with the Tyco "Vampire" trucks? LOL!

Froggy,

Reply to
Froggy

Disagreement is one of the great spices of life. If we all agreed all the time, we should all soon die of ennui. But I was speaking in a slightly different vein. Once you have taken the toy and transformed it into a scale model, it isn't a toy any more and it isn't "Tyco" any more. It has metamorphosed from the caterpillar. You can't do that with a Tyco F unit or a Tyco GG1 and it won't work on the last of the stuff Tyco produced. It applies to only a select few items of "vintage" Tyco. I'm sticking to my beer story. There's a place for beer, and there's a place for fine wines. They just usually are not the same place.

Froggy,

Reply to
Froggy

I just finished looking at Hornby's OO scale "Navy" class and "Coronation" class loks. Looked real nice to me. Wouldn't take much detail work to have a super good-looking machine.

Froggy,

Reply to
Froggy