What was the most beautiful?

Hi All - Happy New Year

For me it would have to be the N.S.W.G.R. AD60 Class Garrats All that motion and the shear size of them.

Yes I know US locomotives are bigger in size. Also like English and European steam locomotives.

My Website:

Anthony

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder - US locos generally look too tall and gangly to me to have any real beauty, British locos are too stunted or the designers have tried too hard to repress function ... I have four Wuerttemberg C locos in my layout stock and two Bavarian S 3/6s ... :-) Diseasels are just functional boxes and have no intrinsic beauty.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Another not in the categories could be 'most fascinating to watch in action'. Shays are good fun to watch, all that action with very little movement. Another goody is a rack and adhesion tank engine, with the rack engine cylinders above the main cylinders. When they're on the rack, the rack engine runs backwards in comparison to the adhesion engine. Two sets of Walschaerts valve gear thrashing around in opposite directions! Wacky-doo! Regards, Bill.

Reply to
William Pearce

Geezer, I agree with you 1000% on the T-1. I fell in love with those at the age of 10 or so, unfortunately after they were all gone. A pity that not one of them was preserved anywhere.

I also personally favor the GG-1, Lowey did a superb job on that as well as on his other transportation designs. I've got four of the tuscan/gold ones ready for the layout that is still in process.

Edvardo

Reply to
Edvardo

Norfolk & Western J class, without a doubt.

Thomas the Tank Engine is pretty cute too. :)

Reply to
Corelane

The original London, Brighton and South Coast Railway E2 0-6-0 tank engine was a lot cuter.

Christopher A. Lee

Salvé Edvardo skrev i diskussionsgruppsmeddelandet: snipped-for-privacy@news.supernews.com...

In the basement (cellar) of the Science museum in Stockholm is an electric loco from the turn of the century (1900) absolutely beautiful a lovely blue colour, no idea how it got down there, but it would mak a lovely model. Beowulf

Reply to
Beowulf

Well, having been a fan of the road since I was three years old growing up

50 feet from the Milwaukee-Minneapolis main line, I have to cast my "electric" vote for the Little Joe too, although in keeping with the spirit of the original poster, I'm going to say the F-7A Baltic.

And the most Beautiful locomotives of all time were, IMHO the Milwaukee Erie-builts, especially the one's with Raymond Lowey's big chrome nose piece (sorry, all I could find was a computer generated drawing of this one.)

Don

-- snipped-for-privacy@prodigy.net

snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com moderator: snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com moderator: snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com co-moderator: snipped-for-privacy@Yahoogroups.com

Trainman

Boy oh Boy, have you opened a debate.

My preference for most beautiful and best looking would certainly be the SP Daylights in their original configuration, with matching train pictured along the Pacific. For toughness, the big Santa Fe 2-10-2s. They were a heavy, workaday hog that just slogged along and did their job. Not pretty, though.

By the way, I have always like the Sterling Singles, and would be interested in getting one with matching train in HO. Does anyone know if they are available and the source?

Rick

Rick Stern

Salvé Rick Stern skrev i diskussionsgruppsmeddelandet:QPFBd.8$ snipped-for-privacy@fe1.columbus.rr.com...

Dear Rick, I doubt that you would find one in HO possibly OO, though the British HO modellers association might have a kit. Beowulf

Beowulf

Why were those locos named after a chemical malfunction or a modern capacitor or ...???

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

The Bi-Polars were so named because they had a tendency to be either manic or depressive, one or the other. Or was it because they could take current in either direction? Or was it because they had two pole motors mounted on the axles.

I have heard all three, but I think the last one is the real reason. They had two pole traction motors.

Reply to
Froggy

had two pole traction motors< Wasn't aware that a two pole motor would run.

Reply to
Jon Miller

They were named for the nature of the mechanicals of the motor; IIRC, the armature was the axle!

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni