What was the most beautiful?

Two pole motors??? How did they get them over centre? I tried making a two pole motor once, with the aim of making the smallest electric motor ever, but I certainly can't claim it was a success. :-( Part of the problem was in making a commutator and brushes with less friction than the power output of the motor, but the major problem was the fact that magnetic attraction/repulsion only worked for about 180 degrees of each revolution. It would have worked if I had found a three pole magnet.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Yes, a two pole motor will run, but not with any appreciable load.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

I can imagine there were some problems!

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Were the armatures perhaps sleeved around the driven axle and driven through springs or rubber? A solidly mounted armature would make for a lot of unsprung weight!

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Beautiful electrics?

The Metropolitan Railway's last Bo-Bo units. There are two preserved, one in the London Transport Museum and the other used for fan trips on both London Transport and the former BR Southern Region routes.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

I haven't had the Stirling, but with one of the other Kitmaster kits I put brass bearings in the frame (cut and filed brass tube let into opened out bearings) and steel axles (lathe required) plus some lead weight added to the boiler and tender. A Diesel motor bogie added to a coach was the motive power. From memory I used an old Athearn F7 mechanisim with one bogie removed with lots of filing of the chassis block to fit in a Triang "Brake/third".

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Why don't you go read about it for yourself?

........F>

Reply to
Froggy

Salvé Christopher A. Lee skrev i diskussionsgruppsmeddelandet: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Yes Sarah Siddons is very photogenic :) Beowulf

Reply to
Beowulf

I loved those when I was a boy - real trains pulled by real engines. They got the locomotive change at Rickmansworth down to a fine art - less than 3 minutes for the stop. I never saw alocomotive change anywhere on BR done anything like as quickly.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

Back in the late 1940s and early 1950s Graham Farish introduced a range of 4mm scale 00 Gauge locos and coaches. The locos, LMS Black Five, GWR King, GWR Big Prairie Tank and SR Merchant Navy, were fitted with a wierd motor in the tender driving through a cardan shaft to the loco. Obviously the Prairie tank had the motor in the loco.

The motor had two wound field coils opposite each other with a permanent magnet mounted on the armature shaft between the coils. Commutation was by a pair of 'relay type' contacts driven by an crank on the aramture shaft.

They were very powerful - when they got going. To try to ensure that they started the drive to the cardan shaft went through a simple centrifugal clutch and the armature was biased in the stationary position by the springiness of the comutator contacts.

Most modellers very soon removed the motor and fitted a more coventional

3 or 5 pole open frame type.

Gregory Procter wrote:

snip

Reply to
Dick Ganderton

Salvé Christopher A. Lee skrev i diskussionsgruppsmeddelandet: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Ah changes! Probably why they called on John Wycliffe,...he changed a lot of things :D Seriously though they as a class are quite elegant, often electric loco's are or rather were very angular, the swiss and Austrian crocodiles or instance, but the mets locos were nicely rounded and fully lined out which gives them a certain something! the Westinghouse steeplecabs of an earlier era on the underground werent too bad either. Beowulf

Reply to
Beowulf

Corelane replied: PCC trolley car. A classic design that has endured the test of time.

--------------------------------------------------- Agreed!

History of N Scale:
Railroad Bookstore:
's Books and Toy Trains:
to 1,000 sites:

Bill

Ooooooooooh that Hiawatha! Yummy - must get some more pics of her

Thanks

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

Bruce

acknowledgements and pics received with thanks

:)

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

Reply to
William Pearce

man that's a beast! Thanks Bill.

Reply to
mindesign

too true! Soon to be available in Australia as a HO model!!!! Not cheap but verrry fine

:)

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

Gregory Procter wrote: >

"THE LEGENDARY "BI-POLARS". WERE CREATED BY GENERAL ELECTRIC. THE NAME CAME AROSE FROM USING TWO-POLE MOTORS. THESE HUGE LOCOMOTIVES COULD HAUL

900 TON ( 1,000 ) US TONS TRAINS UP THE LONG 1 - IN - 45 (2.2 PER CENT) GRADES AT 25 MPH (40 Km/h) AS WELL HAS HOLD THEM BACK COMING DOWN THE GRADE."

Is that appreciable enough? :-)

Reply to
Mark Newton

There can't have been that many, given their length of service.

Reply to
Mark Newton

There can't have been that many, given their length of service. They ran for 43 years, and were withdrawn mainly because the Milwaukee ran out of work for them.

Reply to
Mark Newton