Another Project...

Well, so much for pressing on with just the one engine this winter...as is the usual case in my chaotic existence another engine has taken my fancy and become part of the stable. The next job is to fetch it from it's place of rest which is going to prove quite a challenge and then find somewhere to put it! Pics are up at

. Some say that they are an ugly beast however I quite like it, and it must be one of the earlier horizontal diesels at 1929. The first candidate for it's own foundation in the garden I think...

Regards

Dan

Reply to
Dan Howden

Very nice too! Thanks for showing it to us, Dan.

3 tons, a challenge indeed, my Landrover could shift it on the flat, but it would never get it up our mountain :-(

Is this an inappropriate time to ask how the Tangye oil engine is going ? ;-)

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur Griffin & Jeni Stanton

I wish I had somewhere to put a thing of that mass - ah well.

Nice pictures, Dan. Why is it always the difficult-to-fix tyre that goes flat? Not too difficult to extract, though, how far is it away from home?

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

I think that engine was sold in a farm sale near Gt Yarmouth some 5 or six years ago, I was there but I don't know where it's been since?

Regards Steve.

Reply to
steve green

Love that tunnel-like cylinder bore :-))

It does seem to be in very good condition considering the time it appears to have spent outside.

Peter

Prepair Ltd

That's an interesting thing Dan. If engines can be said to have styling in the same way as cars, this one presents a curious mismatch between the 'classic' OC bottom end and the boxy, almost modern (well 1950's) looking cylinder - and as for that chain driven high mounted cam shaft!

I can understand why you want to bolt it to the world, but it would add welcome variety to any rally.

Reply to
Nick H

Thanks to all for the comments, I have hopefully located a suitable spare wheel with a dodgy but inflated tyre which may help me in shifting the thing, though I can't tow the trailer any distance even with a tractor as there is only a few inches ground clearance. Plan is to lift/jack the crank and flywheels out complete, as long as I'm careful I shouldn't bother the crank as it is reasonably massive, that's one load in the trailer. Then cut the blue trailer up leaving the engine on the two main bearings which will form a second load. I'm currently exploring options for rallying it though it will require the purchase of a suitable vehicle that can legally handle the weight.

Regards

Dan

Reply to
Dan Howden

When I was thinking about options with the Parsons engine, I did toy with the idea of getting hold of a flat bed pickup and mounting it permanently on that. The only thing I could see against it was finding somewhere to park the pickup.

Mileage would be negligible and although I didn't look too deeply into it, it was quite likely it could be classed as a Special Display Vehicle and attract very little in the way of either tax or insurance.

Does anyone know about this?

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

All politicians are like nappies . . . . .

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Used to be a "Showmans" taxation class and also there was also an "Engineering Plant" class for items which had only a piece of plant attached and which couldn't carry any other equipment other than fuel and oil for the plant and equipment associated only with that plant.

The engineering plant classification is still extant for driver licensing purposes, but I couldn't find anything more than that.

Have a trawl through:

Peter

Prepair Ltd

There have been many engines which have been built onto/into commercial vehicles for showing, and as long as you can get the space to park them, they can be better than a trailer as you can also tow your caravan behind....

Astle Park had a big something or other in a 12-ton Mercedes a couple of years back, and there are the many biggies on trucks that turn up at rallies round the country.

We would have gone that route if we had space for parking, but we are not as well endowed with land unfortunately.

Peter

Peter

Prepair Ltd

If you mount an engine permanently on the back of a lorry it can be classed as an exhibition vehicle and as such it is MOT exempt, however the vehicle must be taxed, insured, and in a roadworthy condition which basically means capable of passing an MOT test. My Father used to rally a 16hp Tangye on the back of an old 1947 Bedford O-type lorry which also had the advantage of being free to tax, however storage and maintenance (which is often greater on a vehicle that isn't driven much) have dissuaded me from going down this route. The favourite at the moment is to mount the engine on something that could be towed with a tractor to local events and winched onto a trailer or lorry to go further afield.

do all sorts of interesting stuff and their 3 ton warehouse trailers look like ideal candidates for big engine transport and at 150 quid not bad value either!

Regards

Dan

Reply to
Dan Howden