Beaulieu

Spent a long and tiring saturday at the Beaulieu Autojumble.not a lot of engine related items.a couple of Lister D's,a tidy o/crank Bamford and a very sad Stuart P4 with lots of bits missing. Most unusual item,a 8 volt battery, same construction as a car battery but the terminal posts were at the side rather than on top. We spent a lot of time trying to think of an application for it and failed Found a 1957 motor show book with prices of Stuart engines plus info on Parsons and others. I found ,locally a Stuart P66D marine engine and as it was cheap I bought it.It is a fairly modern unit non magneto,dual coil ignition . Mike.H.

Reply to
Mike.H.

Mike.H.

Ah, the old 8V battery!

These were fairly common among the elucidated over here in the days of 6 volt VW's and the early Holdens.

The Vee Dubs, particularly, were a bit reluctant to fire on a cold morning. Crank over OK, but the volt drop wouldn't allow a decent spark if the ignition systems were not at optimum condition, giving rise to the peculiar behaviour of cranking over and then occasionally firing up at the moment the key was turned back from "Start" to "Run" when the voltage picked up for an instant while she was still turning over.

The Holdens were fairly high-compression motors (for that time) and the "lazy starter syndrome" was well recognized.

Fortunes were spent reconditioning starters, solenoids, replacing battery cables and batteries to little avail, until the later 12 volt models overcame all this.

Not so common among the Brit cars, as they had the good sense to go to

12 volts from way back (my 1926 Clyno has a 12 volt system)

Thanks for the memory!

Jack in Oz

Reply to
Jack Watson

about the battery........some farm tractors used them (here) with the attendant odd generator and regulator. sammmm in the usa

Reply to
SAMMMMM