Collecting again for IF

Gentlemen,

Dan and I have been to Essex to collect an engine for Paul, the following is my report.

Operation Kelvin went without a hitch and neither Dan or I got wet in the river or by rain, infact its been a very nice sunny day.

We arrived at 10:30 and met Dudley, we then crossed the river on a scaffold constructed bridge which bothered Dan because it started to oscillate under our feet. We had the use of a four wheel trolley and a shear legs and block and tackle to lift the engine and place the engine on the trolley. This was then wheeled to the pontoon and with the aid of planks and steel sheet we got the trolley onto the pontoon, it was at this point Dan announced "I don't do boats", so whilst we went back over the bridge Dudley moved a Barge and then poled the pontoon around the Island to the bank nearest the car parking area. We positioned the pontoon so that we could use the ramps from my trailer as the bank was steeper here and pulling/pushing the trolley up the bank would have been impossible. I then unhitched the trailer and turned the van around and then fitted the towing eye to the van, the trolley was then connected to the van and with Dan and Dudley guiding and moving the ramps we pulled the trolley off of the pontoon with the van. We then reconnected the trailer to the van and loaded the engine said our goodbye's and left for home after a short stop at a pub for a sandwich and a shandy. Left home at 09:30 and was home 14:30.

A good day had by all, Dan will put pictures of the operation up this evening all being well.

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

Pics at

Regards Dan

Reply to
Dan Howden

Looks pretty hairy getting the trolley onto/off of the barge! The current must have been negligible too and a windless fine day to boot.

You both had more luck than you probably deserve, so I must assume it was Paul's luck ticket that you were using ;o))

Well done all.

regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

A bit of a "Wind in the willows" type adventure. :-) Fraught at times but successful. Makings of a good yarn. Quote of the day: "I don't do boats." LOL. Well done, men.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

There was certainly little wind but the river flow made the owner work to get the pontoon into place as he was poling against it.

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman