Crossley PH1070 Weight

Quick question which I'm sure has been discussed before - how much does a Crossley PH1070 weigh? I picked one up at the weekend

and I'm debating as to whether to build a better trolley so it will go in the van or a dedicated trailer so it will go behind it.

Regards

Dan

Reply to
Dan Howden

You must have very strong arms!!!!!

I don't know the weight but is sure is a nice looking engine, wish you well with it.

Simon Taylor

Reply to
Simon Taylor

Correction - I collected a PH1070 at the weekend ;-) My back wouldn't stand lifted lumps like that these days.

Cheers

Dan

Reply to
Dan Howden

About seven hundredweight is a reasonable answer I was told when I looked into trailers for it last year.

I've a very nice dynamo for it to drive, but that would make it nine hundredweight and manhandling half a ton plus the trailer's weight on me own is no job for an aging - but still whole! - back.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn>

Reply to
J K Siddorn

When restoring my PH1060, I managed to lift the bare main casting single handed - well 2 handed and with a straight back, but I was younger and dafter in those days !!

John Ambler

Nice engine Dan. I guess there'll be a smell of paraffin 'round your way soon :-).

Is it a runner?

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur Griffin & Jeni Stanton

Can't just see the weight for the hopper version but the P1070 is listed as

780lbs for the engine plus 260lbs for two industrial flywheels

will post again if I find the figures for the hopper engine Geoff Anson Engine Museum Poynton Cheshire snipped-for-privacy@enginemuseum.org

Reply to
Geoff Challinor

PH 1070 listed (approx.) as 980lbs thats with flywheel sizes 25" x 3"

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Challinor

Sniff sniff Can I smell a Crossley Helpline service?

Paul :-)

-- ____________________________________

Internal Fire, Museum of Power, Wales

(under construction

Reply to
Paul Evans

Thanks to all for the responses. I was thinking of building a trailer from new parts, but at that weight it would need brakes (particularly if behind SWMBO's car!), and will be a trifle costly, so I think it will have to have a decent turntable trolley and be relegated to fewer outings in the big trailer.

It is a good runner, though has the usual Crossley carburettor incontinence which I'm sure leaks more fuel than it uses. Something to do with that ridiuclous nearly foot long inlet tract that needs nearly a quart of fuel to wet the walls before the engine can suck in any decent mixture!

Regards

Dan

Reply to
Dan Howden