Enfield stationary diesel engine!.

Wonder if anyone could help please?.

I've got a rather vintage, believed to be 1950 or thereabouts, Enfield diesel engine that drives a generator. This unit worked very well until recently when the starter motor decided to throw in the towel;!.

I believe its an Enfield 85 HO2, a two cylinder twin horizontally opposed arrangement. The starter motor as dismantled is full of small bits of steel wire and seems rather sophisticated perhaps for its time being pre engaged.

No one round here is interested in repairing it or rewinding it either. Its made by "Simms" and is a 512SG 1052 this company aren't to the best of my knowledge around anymore!.

Does anybody know of someone who might be able to repair or who would know of a modern equivalent which would directly bolt in place without too much modification?.

Any help gratefully received thanks!...

Reply to
tony sayer

Simms was absorbed into Lucas many years ago. ISTR a wanted ad in SEM for a similar starter with a drawing of the mounting flange which had a peculiar bolting pattern, however I would not be suprised to find that the rest of the unit was shared with other applications (tractor etc). So keep your eyes peeled at the sales for somthing similar and see if you can do a bit of mixing and matching.

NHH

Reply to
NHH