Homelite ST175 String trimmer parts?

On the way home yesterday, stopped at a yard sale and purchased a
rather good looking Homelite ST-175 (17") string trimmer for $3.
It has a cracked fuel tank and Im looking for a replacement
Trimmer model ST-175, (20541B on lable on shaft)
According to the 'net..the fuel tank appears to be part# A01441
Any good (cheap) sources for one?
Trimmer is complete, with good compression.and in good cosmetic
condition. Good spark.
It appears to have had something dropped on the tank at the top, so
its worth repairing
Thanks
Gunner
"Confiscating wealth from those who have earned it, inherited it,
or got lucky is never going to help 'the poor.' Poverty isn't
caused by some people having more money than others, just as obesity
isn't caused by McDonald's serving super-sized orders of French fries
Poverty, like obesity, is caused by the life choices that dictate
results." - John Tucci,
Reply to
Gunner Asch
Home Depot is a source to order parts from, but they'd be full-boat retail. Ask any yard service guy. However, Homelite is crap, I went through a few until I started buying Echo. We use them to keep the shop's grounds in order.
Reply to
Tom Gardner
Here in the desert..a string trimmer lasts for years, as we have little but dry grass to trim back, and that not very much of.
This one is marked Made in USA...so figured it was better than nothing.
Gunner
"Confiscating wealth from those who have earned it, inherited it, or got lucky is never going to help 'the poor.' Poverty isn't caused by some people having more money than others, just as obesity isn't caused by McDonald's serving super-sized orders of French fries Poverty, like obesity, is caused by the life choices that dictate results." - John Tucci,
Reply to
Gunner Asch
Does it have a bent tube and flex shaft or a gear box? The flex shaft ones are rated for homeowner use only.
Reply to
Tom Gardner
Not on the subject, but did you ever get that welder engine apart? Kinda lost track of that one.
Jim
Reply to
Jim Chandler
Nope...#1 is frozen into the cylinder pretty well. Kroil passes through the other three..but not this one.
Pulled the pan, tapped from the bottom, pulled the rod cap..tapped from the bottom...still no movememt. Im going to have to pull the rod caps on all of them, try to get the rods free of the crank, and turn the crank enough to get #1 free from the crank, then smack the shit out of it with a BFH. ...or bust out the piston with a hammer and chisel.
I cant even pull the engine without freeing the crank, cause the genny bolts that connect the welder to the flywheel are accessable through a single small porthole..and one has to turn the crank to get access to each individual bolt.
Its kinda on the back burner at the moment..Ill get back to it before long. Everytime I go by it..I smack the top of the piston with a hammer and a chunk of wook a couple times, pour in some fresh Kroil and cover it back up again.
Gunner
"Confiscating wealth from those who have earned it, inherited it, or got lucky is never going to help 'the poor.' Poverty isn't caused by some people having more money than others, just as obesity isn't caused by McDonald's serving super-sized orders of French fries Poverty, like obesity, is caused by the life choices that dictate results." - John Tucci,
Reply to
Gunner Asch
I bought a weed eater Saturday for$2, it is so old it has two main bearings (model 1400). The Homelite I got 5 years ago for $2 because it was "leaking oil" Gerry :-)} London, Canada
Reply to
Gerald Miller
Sounds like FUN to me. If you take all the rod caps off you "should" be able to turn the crank and free the gen. I'm just wondering what kind of moron would design something like that?
Jim
Reply to
Jim Chandler
Here's a strange idea. Make a 1/2" thick plate with a 1/2" nipple in it. Bolt it on the offending cylinder with some type of gasket. Hook up a hydraulic pump to the nipple.
Reply to
Tom Gardner
Gonna have to ask the folks at Miller about that...shrug
Guy who sold it to me offered to go through the engine, hell of a machinist with a vERY well equipped shop and a bunch of his guys are motorheads...but Ive got to bring it to them.
Gunner
"Confiscating wealth from those who have earned it, inherited it, or got lucky is never going to help 'the poor.' Poverty isn't caused by some people having more money than others, just as obesity isn't caused by McDonald's serving super-sized orders of French fries Poverty, like obesity, is caused by the life choices that dictate results." - John Tucci,
Reply to
Gunner Asch
Actually...not a bad idea
Id have to pull some of the busted head bolts and replace em first though.....
"Confiscating wealth from those who have earned it, inherited it, or got lucky is never going to help 'the poor.' Poverty isn't caused by some people having more money than others, just as obesity isn't caused by McDonald's serving super-sized orders of French fries Poverty, like obesity, is caused by the life choices that dictate results." - John Tucci,
Reply to
Gunner Asch
And used quite a bit. Using a standard grease gun for a pump and a plate with a zerk on it.
Reply to
Steve W.
Well, that would be the place to start - if you can't save the block, worrying about the piston is secondary.
Could even use grease as the working medium if you have a big bucket - cartridges would be a waste. That, or a porta-power hand pump, or an air-over-hydraulic pump...
Just make sure it's well bled when you apply 3000 PSI, or once that piston starts moving it might not stop - you start with a one-piece crankshaft, and end with a two-piece crank and a new round crater in the driveway... ;-)
-->--
Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman
A grease gun sounds like a lot of work, we need horsepower here! Besides, we can talk Gunner into video recording the whole thing!
Reply to
Tom Gardner
...out of the mouth of...
Reply to
Tom Gardner
AAHH now I see your plan,
Gunner, Could you practice saying "Hey y'all watch this"....
Reply to
Steve W.
Only if someone holds my beer...er Monster
Gunner
"Confiscating wealth from those who have earned it, inherited it, or got lucky is never going to help 'the poor.' Poverty isn't caused by some people having more money than others, just as obesity isn't caused by McDonald's serving super-sized orders of French fries Poverty, like obesity, is caused by the life choices that dictate results." - John Tucci,
Reply to
Gunner Asch
Unless the stuck piston is at the bottom of its stroke, in which case trying to drive it down would not be effective, it may be possible to rotate the crankshaft enough to swing the rod to the side and thus be able to rotate the crank enough to get the attaching bolts out. Removing the rod bolts will get you some extra clearance. It is possible but somewhat hazardous to cut the connecting rod out of the way with a torch or possibly a small abrasive wheel. Sacrifice the piston and/or rod to save the block. Hydraulic forcing has some potential to crack the block.
It is not unusual to be unable to disconnect an engine without rotating it to reach the connecting bolts.
Don Young
Reply to
Don Young
Its stuck at nearly the bottom. Only a couple degrees off of it.