"Engines lack clout"

On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 09:16:30 +0100, "John Manders"

It's always going to be a problem, satisfying the more informed and engineering oriented of the hobby, who really want to see something 'interesting' rather than air-cooled 'lawn mower engines'.

We have a couple of tiddlers, a Suffolk Punch and another one which No2 son plays with. More importantly perhaps is the fact that he 'can' play with the little recoil started air-cooled which will interest him for some time, against the 'nicer/better' engines which are all around him. He is nearly 30yrs so no kid.

I have to admit to walking past most air-cooled stuff, (except for New Way engines, Arthur!) as I have been there and done that and have gone forward to bigger and better (and much heavier) things.

As long as I have transport and storage facilities for the larger stuff, I will keep them in preference to the lightweight air-cooled stuff (although the Lister VA is about 13cwt!)

That said, I have had many conversations with people showing smaller stuff, and most of the guys are genuinely showing a working exhibit and will talk to you when approached. Sadly this is a declining state of affairs as the non-running lawn mower engine is beginning to become a pest rather than an interest.

Kind regards,

Peter

Peter Forbes Prepair Ltd Luton, UK email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk home: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Reply to
Prepair Ltd

Ditto:

We have the five ponies and 5 acres to look after, plus the growing machinery division which has taken up a lot of room this past two years, but is hopefully going to provide amusement and a small income later on when I finally reach the 7-day weekend!

I am very sorry to hear that Charles reached such an impasse with his engine hobby, although having hauled one of his back from Carlisle last year and having had a chat with him I do understand some of the reasons why.

Kind regards,

Peter

Peter Forbes Prepair Ltd Luton, UK email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk home: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Reply to
Prepair Ltd

Gentlemen, I would like to say that the photo in SE is not a dig from me regarding aircooled engines, I display a 1940's Tarpen and implements regularly, my point was the space taken up by a lawnmower engine that I never saw running the whole weekend.

A while ago I had a Petter PU2/8 ex military pumping set that I used to show and I was ridiculed by many an open crank owner, one chap accused me of showing modern rubbish so I challenged him to the age and date of his engine, mine turned out to be almost 10 years his senior and it shut him up.

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Some spin in here to focus on big vs small. I may have implied that in the original post by poor editing, but that's not the main issue.

Main point is that the engine is appreciated by the interested, possibly not yet converted, viewer, & ideally has lots of visibly moving bits (or attractively shiny bits!). Means small engines have to be close enough to be checked out, not hidden in long grass.

I know of 1hp engines that attract a very high percentage of the potential audience, & 10hp that get walked past.

The trigger is in the display. Many small engines are well displayed, often on a small trolley or base. May be driving something, or at least have good info.

Watch folk looking closely at a Gardner No.0, or any small o/c with flyball governors etc. They love trying to work it all out. They are often happy with models, if they are equally visually interesting.

I've seen Stuart verticals & Lister D's done just as well. It's about making the exhibit stand out, whilst doing something easily understood -- & appreciated.

Size doesn't always matter .....

Colin

Reply to
Colin Osborne

Sounds interesting, do tell more Kim.

Reply to
Nick Highfield

"Colin Osborne" wrote > snip!>

Absolutely Colin. People are drawn to the unusual - me included. I spent ages looking at the vertical Blackburn at the Burford rally. Partly because the restoration was so good, but partly because I could not *quite* figure it all out, especially the induction system!

Whirring bits, complicated machinery all add to the excitement of the show (which attracts the more onlookers, a hit-or-miss or throttle governed Amanco?)

Older engines obviously have an inbuilt advantage as they have more external moving parts, but a more modern engine can often remind the viewer of a previous time in their lives when they had to do with such things. The display I'm working on now will set out to demonstrate how different nations solved the same problems (low output power supply) whilst at war. Within human memory and certainly still much in the public eye.

And now I need a Japanese WW2 generating set. Why do I do this to myself ???

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
J K Siddorn