Help needed

I am in the middle of restoring a twin cylinder Ruston engine. Upon stripping it down i have found a hole in one of the barrels right near the bottom of the bore. It appears that it has been corrded through from the water jacket. However i currently have the water jacket full and no water is leaking through into the barrel. It has been suggested that I have the engine re-bored and sleeved, and I have had a quote of £200 from our local engineers, but they say that it is unlikely to stop such a leak. Is there any other way of solving the problem? or do I just put the engine back together and hope for the best.

Mike M

miley snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
miley_bob

Depends what's stopping the leak at the moment - if it's just a bit of silt at the bottom of the water jacket then probably won't stay not leaking for long. But if by some chance it hasn't actually broken through and it's a casting fault or something, then it should be safe to leave.

Nick H./

Reply to
Nick H

Nick

That is what im trying to find out at the moment. I have had a good poke around up the hoel and it now seems pretty solid, but there could be something like a pin pirck hole, (we have even given it a blast with the pressure washer) and i dont want to take the chance, hence why it is curently sat full of water and will be for the next week to see if it leaks. At the moment it seems to be holding up, so lets hope for the best.

Mike M

miley snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
miley_bob

(snip)

m> hence why it is m> curently sat full of water and will be for the next week to see if it m> leaks.

Patience is a virtue - now tell me not to go out into the workshop this evening to play piston ring roulette, but let it have a proper soak!

nickh=== Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 2.2.0.8

Reply to
nickh

I played piston ring roulette earlier on a Lister D piston I bought in a heap of spares. Fortunately I managed to get all the rings free without damaging anything (a 1st for me).

Reply to
miley_bob

Add some antifreeze to the water. It's renowned for finding its way where it shouldn't.

Fred

Reply to
g6zru

When the engine is running has it a pressured radiator system for cooling? I had a Petter 107 with wet liners that under pressure leaked water into the leak off channel. I wondered why water was coming out of a small hole in the side of the engine and plugged it with a matchstick, then the water pushed into the sump. I ended up drawing the wet liner out and replaceing it. I tried to do the same with my Lister fr fredom but even with a 3 ft bar on the threded puller no way, so I am running the worn liner. Suggest you bolt on the head then pressure the water system with a clock the same way steam boilers are tested.

Reply to
vic the barge

When the engine is running has it a pressured radiator system for cooling? I had a Petter 107 with wet liners that under pressure leaked water into the leak off channel. I wondered why water was coming out of a small hole in the side of the engine and plugged it with a matchstick, then the water pushed into the sump. I ended up drawing the wet liner out and replaceing it. I tried to do the same with my Lister fr fredom but even with a 3 ft bar on the threded puller no way, so I am running the worn liner. Suggest you bolt on the head then pressure the water system with a clock the same way steam boilers are tested.

No the engine is hopper cooled (The hopper will, hold about 1.5 gallons) so should have no real pressure in the water jacket.

Mike M

miley snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
miley_bob

I'm not sure why they say sleeving is unlikely to cure it, but maybe they have prior experience? I've had a watercooled compressor cylinder sleeved, which had exactly the same problem. End of problem.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Leech

May I tentatively suggest a liberal application of araldite...Worked well on my old avenger... :-)

Reply to
Derek Lord Of Misrule!