HELP: Piston Rings

i have a petter W piston currently sitting in white spirt hoping the rings will free up as they are currently compressed and stuck to the piston, i tried to remove the oil ring as it looked semi free, unfortunately this broke.

i now need some more rings and suggestions as to how i get the others off witout braking them. Ive sent an email to the guy in SEM hoping he can help me with the rings, unless any of you have a set laying around for a PETTER A type,

one last thing the piston is +40 of standard, although i have been told i can use any size piston rings as long as there smaller.

thanks, Martyn

hope someone can help me

Reply to
Martyn Butler

If you are stuck for rings, try this guy he is usually ok and can make you what you require. Clupet Piston Ring & Gauge Co. Tel: (01900) 818361

Reply to
Martin Hirst

repeated dunking in hot then cold water will have a loosening effect,as the different metals expand and contract at different tempreatures.

##-----------------------------------------------## Article posted from Internal Fire Newsreader

Share your knowledge in... uk.rec.engines.stationary ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
Mike Young

A Lister piston I removed had the rings solidly held by carbon. Being inexperienced, I broke one trying to remove it.

In disgust I shoved the damn thing into a tub of diesel and left it in the shed. Months later when I came to look at the piston again, the rings had freed and the carbon was mostly gone.

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur Griffin & Jeni Stanton