More Portland (USA) Pictures

We have got the next 3 pages up and working, another 54 pictures.

The menu's have been updated in each subdirectory, the Portland Picture icon is at the bottom of the main menu on the LH side, so you can go through the main menu now.

There are another 8+ pages to go yet....

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Thanks for the thanks ! :-))

It really is a big show, much bigger than anything I have been to in the past. The tractors weren't photographed at all, and that would take another few hundred pictures alone. The spares and sale areas I did take some shots of, they are yet to be posted. Out of 400+ shots, we are using 200 or so, inclusing some taken at the USAF museum in Dayton where we spent half a day.

The time taken is mainly setting up a basic page with all the headers and the picture basics, then it is just a simple case of editing the picture details, checking the page and then after saving it, copying it to the next filename. I can get 100 pages an hour done like that.

The pictures are a straightforward job now that I have it all sorted out. The basic image is 3.5mb uncompressed (1280 X 1024) and about

228kb compressed. A reduction to 40% or 42% gives a file size of 636k uncompressed and 65k compressed. While it's on the screen, a further reduction is done, down to the thumbnail size, usually to 200pixels height and then renamed by addition 'TH' on the end of the filename. That process can be a bit longer than the basic pages, especially if there is editing to do. I did a lot while over there on the laptop.

Most of the engine guys post pictures of the shows, have a look on

for the various guy's web page sections.

Patrick Livingstone does the same for the rallies in Oz BTW.

PTFE was out there with his Olympus, bashing away at detailed shots of the more interesting stuff, hopefully you will see the results on the magazine front covers soon, and on his Webshots pages. Philip was as impressed as I was!

Kind regards,

Peter

Peter Forbes Prepair Ltd Luton, UK email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk home: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Reply to
Prepair Ltd

Peter --

Good pix. Thanks.

I've always delighted in the number of big engines at Portland, & the oil field engines. They still sell very reasonably over there ....

I'm seeing a change since I first went to US rallies in the '60's. It always was the case that our American friends most treasured vintage engines (or cars/ motorcycles) with evidence of original paint. I liked that, & it seems a shame that they, in the last decade, are increasingly blasting off originality & replacing it with repaint. We're terrible over here at destroying history & replacing with pastiche .... but I did like the Ruston AP you showed -- I might have polished the flywheel as that's a non-destructive cosmetic exercise, but the rest was just right!

I've done a few Portlands & Coolsprings, & heartily recommend them -- especially since the widespread availability of digital cameras. Saves so much money, & you know you have what you want as images before you leave the field. I've got several thousand images, but have never gone as far as making them public on the internet.

Good to see so many new engines appearing. There's always a risk with the big shows that 90% is repeat business, but you have pix of many engines that I've not seen at Portland before.

Like you, I do the aeroplane thing, & visited Grissom one time whilst returning from Portland to Chicago. Super, & as you say, another 200 images of airplanes you'll never see in the UK.

Just saved money by cancelling going to GDSF this year, as the forecast is poor for the south today. Don't revel in mud, so I'll put that £100 towards next year's Portland fund...

Gets crazy when a week in Portland, Indiana is little more expensive than a week in Tarrant Hinton, Dorset, including admission & travel

-- & a lot cheaper to buy goodies.

Colin, in sunny West Wales

Reply to
Colin Osborne

Colin,

Thanks for that, I may try and sign up again as you suggest however I think I did subscibe a few years ago but got fed up with the unrelated emails.

Regards.

Reply to
Pete Aldous

Hello all,

I have been lurking for a while here, and thought I would respond to the inquiry about more pictures from Portland. One that I know of that has posted pictures from Portland (and any other show he has attended) is Steve Barr. His web page is at

Enjoy!

Bill (from across the big pond)

Reply to
Bill Herreid

Almost forgot to mention, go to the show reports link. He also has pictures and prices from auctions that he attends.