Portland, USA, Show

Just back from the USA after a very hectic and wearing 7 days!!

Trip was great apart from the initial trip out which turned into a comedy of disasters, the show was superb, much better than we had hoped.

Took 400+ pictures, will start editing and posting asap.

Haven't slept in 30 hours so will post again once we have had some shuteye.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

'The Associated Line' in the US wasn't it?

Sounds like it was a good show, can't wait for the piccies.

Regards Chris

Reply to
Chris Crocker - White

Associated and United are the two names that spring to mind, with the United having a different hopper. I also learned that engines sent to Australia and Canada were usually fitted with Webster TriPolar mags /igniters.

The propane gas was donated to the exhibitors, hence the blue flames a foot high shooting out of the hot tube chimneys. Very impressive after dark.

The big 100hp Fairbanks twin had a nasty bearing knock when it was running, the

50hp single sounded in better health.

Sadly I didn't find one with a clutch mechanism to photograph for Arthur. I did get lots of Amanco Midget piccies for David McCreath though.

Regards

Philip T-E

Reply to
ClaraNET

Welcome back Peter, and thanks for the manual, I look forward to seeing it.

Reply to
Arthur Griffin

Back to civilisation! I think we need to hear a recording of that radio show. Who knows, you could be a vintage preservation star, like Fred Dibnah?

Thanks for looking out for the New Way. On the plus side this would seem to indicate that the CH is rare, though a rather crushing email I received from the US told me that these engines were not all that rare, it's just that their owners leave them at home when they go to rallies! I guess the sender went to the same school of tact and diplomacy as Dubya himself.

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur Griffin

There was a fan cooled version next to the ATIS area that was running most days, I got a shot of that clutch just in case.

Peter

Peter A Forbes