Mounting needed

I've recently purchased a telescope - well, a heavy brass sight from a field gun. Deprived of its usual flange, it is just a heavy, awkward lump of a thing & I'd like to mount it on a tripod that I already have to hand.

I need someone to make up a mounting ring for me - not especially complex, just bigger than I can swing. You can see photos of it here

along with a rough line drawing of the proposed mounting.

Made in polished brass or bronze, the mounting ring needs to be nominally 3" long and a clearance fit on the 3.5" of the OD of the barrel. A sturdy block of the same material - with which to fit it to the tripod - has a large knurled screw fitting (size to be measured) and is silver soldered or brazed to the mounting ring. Finally, two smaller knurled turnscrews are fitted to two bushings at 90o to each other below the mounting ring.

If anyone is interested in running this up for me, drinking vouchers will naturally be available - please reply off list.

Regards,

J. Kim Siddorn,

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

It looks like a nice piece Kim but I would be careful about using clamp screws to hold it. The point loading could easily dent the scope walls unless they're really thick. Then they'd just scratch the nice brass. Have you considered a split ring?

John

Reply to
John

The wall is 1/8" thick, so will take a little pressure! The unit is massive, probably weighing forty-fifty pounds. I imagine that it is intended that the concussion of the gun would not affect the focus.

That said, a nicely carried out clamping ring would be even better, I was looking at the easiest option.

Regards,

Kim

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Kim, 6" of bronze, 4" diameter is nearly £100 Regards. Ben

Reply to
Ben

I reckon a chunk of angle iron and a jubilee clip should do the job ;-)

Nick H.

Reply to
Nick H

Is it? Ouch. I need to rethink this then .............76

Regards,

J. Kim Siddorn, Regia Anglorum

This e-mail and attachments are intended for the named addressee only and the information in this message and/or attachments may contain protected health, legally privileged, or otherwise confidential information. If you, the reader of this message, are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you may not further disseminate, distribute, disclose, copy or forward this message or any of the content herein. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original.

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and may or may not indicate the established policy of Regia Anglorum. It is the society's principal to rely solely upon hard copy communications in dealing with contractual matters.

This computer is protected with daily updated anti-viral software, but it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure their incoming mail is virus-free.

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

2 or possibly more jubilee clips to hold the scope onto the angle, plus the important bit, an old inner tube to protect that nice brass scope tube from damage.

It should be simple to contrapt a nice mounting by welding a nut on the outside of the angle iron to match the standard screw of a heavy duty camera tripod.

Reply to
crn

wrote

Eek, I was joking - this ain't scrap heap challenge you know!

BTW Kim, how did "its usual flange" fit?

Nick H.

Reply to
Nick H

See if you can find a 3" brass gate valve. Something like this.

the innards removed and bored out, the main body should do nicely. A shower mixer valve body may also be about the right size.

John

Reply to
John

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread and for the useful thoughts & suggestions. I've now found a model engineer with a bit of brass pipe of an appropriate size amongst his souvenirs and he has agreed to make up the bracket for me. It might even be ready when I come back from my travels ;o))

Regards,

J. Kim Siddorn,

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Why do you need 6" length?

I'd lost-foam cast a tin bronze ring (more flexible than brass), then do it with the boring head on the mill. The outside could be filed and polished, my casting finish is good enough for that. A boss could be cast onto the side to machine up for a clamping screw.

If you need 6" spacing, make tow rings and a spacer.

Reply to
Andy Dingley