O/T but funny

Stolen from another newsgroup:
How many message board members does it take........
...to change a lightbulb??
1 to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been
changed
14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the
light bulb could have been changed differently
7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs
1 to move it to the Lighting section
2 to argue then move it to the Electricals section
7 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light
bulbs
5 to flame the spell checkers
3 to correct spelling/grammar flames
6 to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb" ... another 6
condemn those 6 as anal-retentive
2 industry professionals to inform that the proper term is "lamp"
15 know-it-alls who claim they were in the industry, and that "light
bulb" is perfectly correct
19 to post that this forum is not about light bulbs and to please take
this discussion to a lightbulb forum
11 to defend the posting to this forum saying that we all use light
bulbs and therefore the posts are relevant to this forum
36 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where
to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for
this technique and what brands are faulty
7 to post URL's where one can see examples of different light bulbs
4 to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly and then post the
corrected URL's
3 to post about links they found from the URL's that are relevant to
this group which makes light bulbs relevant to this group
13 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including
all headers and signatures, and add "Me too"
5 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they
cannot handle the light bulb controversy
4 to say "didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"
13 to say "do a Google search on light bulbs before posting questions
about light bulbs"
1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and
start it all over again
1 to say you gotta put "OT" in the subject line for light bulbs.
5 to change the subject line so nobody has any idea what the new
threads are
Reply to
John Manders
Apt and very funny indeed :-) but there is a serious side. Over the summer I have spoken to about 30 people who have visited this NG but departed swiftly. Their loss but perhaps we might make newcomers more welcome by, for example: sticking to the subject, actually answering the question posed or the help asked for, drastic snipping when replying..... just a thought - send all flames to:-- Roland Craven nr Exeter Devon, UK snipped-for-privacy@petternut.co.uk

Roland and Celia Craven
Roland, I agree entirely but would go further. Their departure is a loss to all concerned. OP still made me laugh though.
John
Reply to
John Manders
I'm quite surprised about this. There are several of us that leap upon newcomers and chat to them, going out of our way to make them feel welcome and that their experiences are worth sharing with the rest of us. I wonder if they joined but lurked un-announced.
It is true that we also indulge in a bit of OT chat, but such stuff is almost always subject-ted that way from the outset or swiftly changed.
Some are better at snipping and clipping than others (it took me a while to even understand what people were on about!), but are there many of us that run slow modems on slow machines these days? I'd rather read an interesting post from someone who was poor on Netiquette but sound on engineering than the nit-picker that corrects him!
Still, whatever, I'm sorry we lost them .........
Regards,
Kim Siddorn
Reply to
J K Siddorn
I'm not having a pop at anyone, and I too am guilty, but go back over a few threads in the last few months and see just how many first timers actually got anywhere near being helped or being told sorry we can't help. More often than not the thread is launched into hyperspace never to return or twisted beyond recognition :-) ttfn Roland
Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven
Hi Roland, don't forget that all replies don't come through the group. In the last year I have contacted "off list" two newcomers to the list & promised help. In one case I found him the engine he was looking for. If I do it, no doubt others also take the same interest. -- Dave Croft Warrington England

Dave Croft
Good point Dave. I do it too and there are more than a few who only respond that way. Doesn't help the group or encourage folk to stick around though does it? tara Roland
Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven
There are also a few that take help and don't ever come back with a response, either an acknowledgement or even a thank you.
Peter
Peter A Forbes
Right Gentlemen,
Now you have pricked my concience I apologise for anything said, done or not done, anything I promised and forgot, for not snipping or clipping. For being rude obnoxious or down right uncooth, slanderous or libelous or just being me Now that I have cleared the air how about the rest of you :-)) Off to Warwick tommorrow to fetch mill drill etc so if between Bedford and Warwick in morning stuck in long traffic queue, its ME. Martin P
Reply to
Campingstoveman
Off to Sellindge on Sunday in Kent with WWII JAP2A generator plus old steam engine batteries to charge. Regards, Ian.
Reply to
kingsnavy