O/T but funny

Stolen from another newsgroup:

How many message board members does it take........ ...to change a lightbulb??

1 to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been changed

14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb could have been changed differently

7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs

1 to move it to the Lighting section

2 to argue then move it to the Electricals section

7 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light bulbs

5 to flame the spell checkers

3 to correct spelling/grammar flames

6 to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb" ... another 6 to condemn those 6 as anal-retentive

2 industry professionals to inform that the proper term is "lamp"

15 know-it-alls who claim they were in the industry, and that "light bulb" is perfectly correct

19 to post that this forum is not about light bulbs and to please take this discussion to a lightbulb forum

11 to defend the posting to this forum saying that we all use light bulbs and therefore the posts are relevant to this forum

36 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for this technique and what brands are faulty

7 to post URL's where one can see examples of different light bulbs

4 to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly and then post the corrected URL's

3 to post about links they found from the URL's that are relevant to this group which makes light bulbs relevant to this group

13 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all headers and signatures, and add "Me too"

5 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot handle the light bulb controversy

4 to say "didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"

13 to say "do a Google search on light bulbs before posting questions about light bulbs"

1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start it all over again

1 to say you gotta put "OT" in the subject line for light bulbs.

5 to change the subject line so nobody has any idea what the new threads are

Reply to
John Manders

Roland and Celia Craven

Roland, I agree entirely but would go further. Their departure is a loss to all concerned. OP still made me laugh though.

John

Reply to
John Manders

I'm quite surprised about this. There are several of us that leap upon newcomers and chat to them, going out of our way to make them feel welcome and that their experiences are worth sharing with the rest of us. I wonder if they joined but lurked un-announced.

It is true that we also indulge in a bit of OT chat, but such stuff is almost always subject-ted that way from the outset or swiftly changed.

Some are better at snipping and clipping than others (it took me a while to even understand what people were on about!), but are there many of us that run slow modems on slow machines these days? I'd rather read an interesting post from someone who was poor on Netiquette but sound on engineering than the nit-picker that corrects him!

Still, whatever, I'm sorry we lost them .........

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
J K Siddorn

I'm not having a pop at anyone, and I too am guilty, but go back over a few threads in the last few months and see just how many first timers actually got anywhere near being helped or being told sorry we can't help. More often than not the thread is launched into hyperspace never to return or twisted beyond recognition :-) ttfn Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

Hi Roland, don't forget that all replies don't come through the group. In the last year I have contacted "off list" two newcomers to the list & promised help. In one case I found him the engine he was looking for. If I do it, no doubt others also take the same interest.

-- Dave Croft Warrington England

Dave Croft

Good point Dave. I do it too and there are more than a few who only respond that way. Doesn't help the group or encourage folk to stick around though does it? tara Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

There are also a few that take help and don't ever come back with a response, either an acknowledgement or even a thank you.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Right Gentlemen,

Now you have pricked my concience I apologise for anything said, done or not done, anything I promised and forgot, for not snipping or clipping. For being rude obnoxious or down right uncooth, slanderous or libelous or just being me Now that I have cleared the air how about the rest of you :-)) Off to Warwick tommorrow to fetch mill drill etc so if between Bedford and Warwick in morning stuck in long traffic queue, its ME. Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Reply to
kingsnavy