O/T RSJ's

Guys, I could do with a bit of help here. I've recently got my plans through for a nice new garage/workshop. The roof needs some 356 x 171 Universal Beams and the door lintle needs a 430 x 100 PFC. Question is, what is a PFC. I've not come across that term before. Also, does anyone know of a steel salvage place that might have these second hand as they're a bit pricey new.

Thanks

John

Reply to
John

Parallel Flange Channel PFC

nick

Reply to
nick

this is some heavy channel your 430x100 is 64.4 kg per meter nick

Reply to
nick

Google my dear chap, appears to be Parallel Flange Channel or C section rather than "normal" RSJ H section.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Thanks to all who replied about PFC. Apparently it's like half a Universal Beam. These have replaced the RSJ's and Rolled Steel Channels that I grew up with many years back.

John

Reply to
John

Gentlemen,

A slight aside I know but RSJ related, I was driving through Dublin yesterday afternoon on my way to the Airport to return home when I came across a Japanese pick up coming the other way with approx five I beams of a least 15 foot length and at least 12 in x 12 in on the roof and back. The only suspension the vehicle had was in the very flat bottomed tyres.

And how about the Tunnel that has been built by the Dublin authorities to move heavy goods away from the M1/M50 via the city centre to the Dublin docks, it cant take large Artics its not big enough, as one Irish collegue told me "it can only happen here". apologies to my friend Arthur of course :-))

Mart> Thanks to all who replied about PFC.

Reply to
Campingstoveman
5 beams at 4.5m each = 22.5m RSC's of that size are about 50kg/m. That makes 1125kg If it was one of those 1 Tonne jobs it should have been OK. If the beams were RSJ's however, they're a bit heavier. I would be more worried about the roof rack bit. A lot of pick up trucks are fitted with a ladder rack. That's what they're meant to carry, not steel beams. If the beams weren't overhanging the back, their CofG would be almost on the rack. That's worrying.

John

Reply to
John

It was a Cabstar and it had a ladder rack and I wish I had had my camera.

Mart> 5 beams at 4.5m each = 22.5m

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Nearly as good as this?