OT - A warming glow

Today I found a handwarmer lying in the road & I am most intrigued by it. Inside the cloth bag is a sealed plastic translucent bag full of a semi-solid compound. In this compound is a thin, round steel disc.

You pop it into a saucepan of cold water, bring to the boil, simmer for ten minutes & allow to cool in the pan.

When you take it out, the bag is now filled with a clear translucent fluid in which the steel disc readily floats about when handled - like (say) Three in One oil.

The directions tell you to click the disc. When you do so, the fluid around the disc instantly hardens to a semi-solid form which rapidly spreads through the fluid. The bag at once becomes hot and cools slowly.

I'm sure there is someone here that can explain to me how this works. ;o))

Regards,

Kim Siddorn.

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Greetings from Canada.

A friend of mine had a distributorship arrangement with the inventor of those little thermal heating pads and I can remember when he used to have cases, and cases, and cases of them in all sizes sitting around his office.

As far as I know they contain a harmless salt solution not that I would want to drink it.

When you click the metal disk obviously a chemical reaction takes place that causes the salt solution to solidify and give off an incredible amount of heat for a few minutes.

I can't remember the technical description of how or why it works, but it does.

I havn't seen one of those in about twenty years.

Reply to
Shiver

A super saturated solution of Sodium Acetate - but why does the "click" set it off?

Regards,

Kim Siddorn.

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Beats me.

I just can't remember that part of it.

Obviously it set off some sort of chemical reaction where the molecules or chemical components got realigned and in the process an incredible amount of heat was generated.

The fact that the solution was super saturated obviously had a lot to do with it and the disk being clicked caused the reaction to start.

By the way does the bag have a lable on it... Like a trade name.

I can't remember what the trade name for them was but if I heard it again it would job my memory.

Reply to
Shiver

GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND

What is happening here is strange but can be understood if you think about water freezing. Water freezes at 32 degrees F or 0 degrees C. If you were to stick a thermometer in a cup of water and put the cup in the freezer, you would find that the temperature of the water falls to

32 degrees F and then hangs there until all of the water is completely frozen. Then the temperature of the solid water falls to the temperature of the freezer.

What if you could somehow supercool the water? That is, say that you could get the water's temperature to 10 degrees below freezing without it crystallizing into a solid (you can sometimes do this using a very clean glass and distilled water so there are no points for the water to begin crystallizing). In this condition you can tap the glass and the temperature of the water will jump up to 32 degrees F/0 degrees C and the water will solidify quickly.

Our magic heating pads contain sodium acetate and water. It turns out that sodium acetate is very good at supercooling. It "freezes" at 130 degrees F or 54 degrees C, but it is happy to exist as a liquid at a much lower temperature and is extremely stable. Clicking the disk, however, has the ability to force a few molecules to flip to the solid state, and the rest of the liquid then rushes to solidify as well. The temperature of the solidifying liquid jumps up to 130 degrees F or 54 degrees C in the process.

When you boil the solid you melt it back to the liquid state. You have to completely melt every crystal or the liquid will quickly re-solidify. You can repeat this cycle thousands of times, just as you can freeze and melt water as many times as you like.

Reply to
Shiver

See ya, Arnie

Arnie Fero Pittsburgh, PA USA snipped-for-privacy@city-net.com

Reply to
hit_n_miss

Search uk.d-i-y - did it a few days ago.

I believe Aldi is cheapest if you want more.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

No, purely physical - not chemical at all.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

In message , hit_n_miss writes

GBP 1.29 for two in Aldi last week. Our local one still has a few in stock.

Wassail!

Reply to
Martin Phillips

That's a pretty good find, Kim. I bought a few of these in Beijing a couple of years ago, and they work great. You really have to cook them well to liquefy the crystals otherwise they reactivate and solidify. Laurie in Melbourne

Reply to
Fruitfly